Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Kitchens & Baths
Hop To Forums   HGTV KitchenDesign
  Small kitchen. HELP! How to reconfigure!!!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Small kitchen. HELP! How to reconfigure!!! Sign In/Join 
Picture of indycatCarol
posted
My husband died 1 1/2 yrs. ago and I've moved to a slightly smaller house near my daughter.
At the old house I had 3 double cabinets, 2 corner cabinets and 2 single cabinets and 2 cabinets above the sink and below. Below was 4 more large cabinets. There was also a pantry.
This is what I'm dealing with now. Looking at the outside wall.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: indycatCarol,

I don't mind coming to work. But that 8 hr. wait to go home is a drag.
http://s182.photobucket.com/albums/x189/indycatCarol/

Posts: 3435 | Location: Indiana | Registered: Nov 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of indycatCarol
posted Hide Post
I am standing in the diningroom taking the pics. The DR is 9'6"x 13'.
The kitchen is 9'6" x 9'6". There is a panty in the right corner.
The opening above the sink looks into the livingroom. The LR is 13' x 17'.

Posts: 3435 | Location: Indiana | Registered: Nov 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of indycatCarol
posted Hide Post
The dishwasher and sink have to stay where they are. The pantry is in the corner.
Hopefully in the next 6 mos. I can get new cabinets. So, how can I rearrange (and add) cabinets?????

posted Hide Post
Are you asking a questions?

P.S. I got the willies just seeing all that flammable stuff sitting on the stove...even if it is electric. You have cleared it off?

Posts: 6728 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of indycatCarol
posted Hide Post
Metwo, sorry, I was asking for help on rearranging the kitchen to give me more cabinets.

The pic was taken RIGHT after I moved in but I am very limited in cabinets and counter top.

I might also be getting new appliances so the side by side doesn't have to stay, I can go with a smaller fridge seeing it is just me.

posted Hide Post
Can't see the specific items on the stove but do agree that it's important to be careful - even with an electric.

Assuming you're looking for a few suggestions. Don't know if you have a budget so will just throw a few things out there -

Can the refrigerator move, say to the end of the cabinetry runs on either side of the room? Or, to an adjacent laundry room or mudroom, if one exists?

Can't tell if the pantry door is accordion-style or swings out but you might consider removing it and replacing it with an inexpensive tension rod plus a colorful curtain. That way, especially if the fridge can move, you might be able to add at least some storage on that wall.

If the fridge can't move, how about a much smaller one (or counter depth) so its door(s) don't swing out as far? BTW, is that a small freezer on that wall or a cabinet? Do you need an add'l freezer with only 1 resident in the house? Can that be relocated to allow you to build at least something (storage) on that wall?

To add counter space, have you considered purchasing a venting microwave for above the stove? Alternatively, perhaps the microwave could move to a shelf somewhere or even the pantry.

Any other adjacent rooms that have space to build-in storage? How about the dining room? Does it have an opposite, available wall? If you added cabinetry on a back, d.r. wall, you could move many of your dishes plus anything that's used infrequently.

Is the dining room formal or an open area, adjacent to the kitchen? How about incorporating it into the kitchen and essentially turning it into an eat-in kitchen? You didn't include pics of it but that might be a possibility.

If you visit the kitchen design area at any big box store, they'll probably load your measurements into their system and help you determine the best layout for your space, free of charge and without obligation.

Sorry to hear about your spouse's death - hope you're coping as best you can. Everything's JMHO - take care.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BearCat49,

Posts: 168 | Registered: Sep 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It appears you have about 5' between cabinets which is such an inconvenient space. Too large to be comfortable going from one side to the other and too small to make an peninsula. Why do designers do this? ( Sigh!! )

I don't have a lot of suggestions except on the pantry. I makes the kitchen look so much smaller. If you knocked down that wall and had a pantry unit built (with adjustable selves) into the same space (a free-standing one) you would gain a lot of space. You would likely have to check with a local cabinet maker. It may not cost as much as you think.

It probably wouldn't hurt to look at the kitchen stuff you have and see if you really need everything. It takes sometime to adjust to new circumstances and you might be holding on to things you don't really need.

Don't rush into anything.

Posts: 6728 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of indycatCarol
posted Hide Post
Pics of an empty house like mine..
Looking from LR into Kit, and DR.
This floor plan is just opposite of mine in layout.

Picture of indycatCarol
posted Hide Post
Looking into kit. from DR. Again, this floor plan is opposite of mine.

Picture of indycatCarol
posted Hide Post
My house looking from the LR into the DR. Unfortunately the quilting machine has to stay in the DR because it is 14' long.

Picture of indycatCarol
posted Hide Post
Here is one configuration I came up with.

Picture of indycatCarol
posted Hide Post
This one may be more costly to remove the wall between the pantry and sink area. But I think I like it best.

Picture of indycatCarol
posted Hide Post
When my husband and I redid our kitchen in the other house in 2010 we cleared out a lot of unused stuff and I did that again coming here. I REALLY need more counter space. I guess that's why I like the last layout I came up with because there is 48" of continuous counter space.

posted Hide Post
Ohhhhhhhhhh, I get what you need now. Sorry I am so dense. On your second drawing, I am not a fan of having upper cabinets with no lowers. I have that here and we always hit our heads.

Might it be possible to move the refrigerator to the left wall (in your drawings) and have 2 corner cabinets? Not ideal but would give you more space.

Picture of indycatCarol
posted Hide Post
LOL! I'm short so I don't have to worry about hitting my head.
Is this kind of what you are talking about?

posted Hide Post
That's what I was thinking when I saw your drawings, earlier, Carol. I'd move the fridge to the opposite end of the stove cabinet run and then build out that corner area. If budget's a concern, you could only go around that corner (leaving the pantry on the other side) or simply do a straight cabinet run (down from the stove) and then add some open shelving inbetween those cabinets and the pantry. That's assuming the pantry door doesn't swing out. Am also suggesting open shelving b/c it gives you an opportunity to liven up the space with colorful pottery and/or accessories.

I'd still suggest going to the venting microwave above the stove and a counter-depth, smaller refrigerator. I would definitely build-in the new refrigerator for a finished look.

I'm sure you've thought of this but any chance you could set up a workshop for your quilting equipment? In a garage or studio on the property? That way, you'd have your dr back and improved workspace, too.

If you reclaim the dr space, it appears the wall area inbetween the single and double windows would accommodate a built-in cabinet. You could do a sideboard on the bottom plus closed cabinets and glass-front cabinets on the top.

Let us know how it goes - good luck!

Posts: 168 | Registered: Sep 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of indycatCarol
posted Hide Post
I would REALLY like to add a room (15'x20')thru the patio doors for the quilting machine but that would be about $22-25,000. And possibly over building for the area. Another option would be to have 2 ft cut off the machine from 14' to 12', then it could go in the master bedroom.
Yes, I would get a over the stove microwave. Just forgot to draw it in the last drawing. The fridge I drew is 6" narrower than the side by side that is here now.

posted Hide Post
I think that is the best use of your space though I personally dislike u shaped kitchen. Like you I am short and cannot reach to clean the corners!! But the added counter and cupboard space will really help you.

Be sure you watch the dimensions when you shop the appliances. And get adjustable shelves in the cupboards... maybe even 3 or 4 shelves in a couple that you can use for a pantry.

Picture of indycatCarol
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for your help. As much as I would like to get this kitchen redone tomorrow, it will have to wait till I get my previous house sold. Hopefully it is going on the market the end of the month.

posted Hide Post
Best of luck to you. Come back and post a px when you can get around to it.

posted Hide Post
bump

Posts: 4454 | Location: Texas | Registered: Mar 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post