Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Kitchens & Baths
Hop To Forums   HGTV KitchenDesign
  Help with Island Stools (pics)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help with Island Stools (pics) Sign In/Join 
posted
I have installed a kitchen island 54x38" and I am trying to find 4 stools. We love these stools (pictured) but I am not sure if they may be a little too big. The top picture seems to show that they are well proportioned for the table top size, but the lower picture shows that the two chairs extend beyond the base cabinet - is this "visually" a problem? The island is 54" wide so two 20" wide chairs fit, but the base is only 30" wide so pretty much any stool we get will extend past the base

Posts: 8 | Registered: Dec 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks OK to me....but I think stolls that could go under the island top when no in use might be better.
I think this is reaslly up to you, it's your kitchen, so whatever you like!

Posts: 57 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: Aug 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
If you like the chairs, don't do anything until you have bodies in the chairs. If everyone can be seated with enough room around...keep your chairs.

(I prefer the backs. I detest backless stools. Feels as if I'm a buzzard perched on a roost awaiting its next meal. They are also tiring to perch on for a meal - even a quick breakfast.)

Posts: 16527 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Every time I see the title of this thread...I think of a digestive problem one might get traveling to the tropics.
AND with pictures no less!
Big Grin Big Grin Wink

Posts: 9433 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
I think they look gorgeous...I was wondering why you wanted to replace LOL!

Posts: 2785 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
LOL conrad!

I love the chairs too...I would keep them.

If you really don't like them, they have a great selection at these sites:
and I think they are have sales right now.

http://www.frontgate.com/indoo...nishings/bar-stools/

http://www.grandinroad.com/ind...urniture/bar-stools/

http://www.ballarddesigns.com/...iture/dining-stools/

Whether You Think You Can Or You Think You Can't..... You're Right - Henry Ford

Posts: 7276 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like them, too. In the photo, it appears you have them arranged to leave an opening for the cook to utilize the island for prep work. If you were dining, wouldn't the 4th chair be placed on that side? How often do you cook with either family members or guests already seated?

Seems like they'd look fine, if/when they were rearranged. Overall, if they're comfortable for diners with ample legroom, I would continue using them.

JMHO.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: blueday,

Posts: 139 | Registered: May 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like them they look comfy but look bulky when you look below the counter top they sort of make the bottom look even smaller than it is .Almost reminds you of a mushroom and the bottom falls over the whole top goes down too .Makes the top look huge compared .Bulky .Reminds me of a pedestal table when you leaned on one side it would tilt up and almost topple off .

Posts: 531 | Registered: Jul 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
bump

Posts: 4454 | Location: Texas | Registered: Mar 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post