Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Kitchens & Baths
Hop To Forums   HGTV KitchenDesign
  Help! Need Kitchen Design help!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help! Need Kitchen Design help! Sign In/Join 
posted
I bought a co-op in January 2012 with the plan of living in it 3-5 years and then renting it out once I find a house or nicer condo for the long-run. The price was perfect for me, with the place needing some upgrades and touch ups but nothing too drastic. All the basics are here but I need to up the amperage of the electrical and put new lighting in the kitchen/bathroom and living room as its a bit dark at night.

(Front of kitchen picture)
http://imageshack.us/scaled/thumb/833/y082.jpg

My main area of design help is the kitchen. I'm conflicted as I would love a nice, shiny kitchen but if this is only a temporary place for me, I don't want to spend too much in upgrades knowing that ultimately it will be used by strangers for the long run. I've thought about going the IKEA route with some of their nicer options. I've attached two pictures because I really can't fathom the right combination for my future kitchen remodeling. The living room and kitchen are studio like in the sense that they share one long room with the kitchen floor tile the main separator. I've toyed with adding brick fascade to one side of the kitchen, maybe as a backsplash against the sink side. The outside of my co-op is brick but the sink side wall is not the outside wall so I know technically it wouldn't make sense.

One caveat to remodeling is that I have a radiator that can not be moved (easily or cheaply) underneath both windows so unfortunately there is not much room to move the fridge from its current location or get a bigger one. I've thought about creating a half wall to separate further the living room as I've seen in other units but I'd like to keep costs as low as possible. It is hard to squeeze the kitchen/dining table with a dream island (even if it was small). I definitely feel I need a tad bit more counter space, just not sure where it would fit...hence the thought about building a half wall for additional counter/cabinet space.

Any ideas? I want to remodel to something that is nice, but not too nice since it will spend the greater portion of its existence with future renters.

Thanks so much in advance!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SusquehannaGrad,

Posts: 3 | Registered: Oct 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your picture is pretty small to see anything and only show one angle of the kitchen so these suggestions are general in nature.

If your cabinets are well built I would keep them. They appear to be flat so some molding would dress them up. I would not use brick in the kitchen. When you rent it the tenets may not be as vigil as you about cleaning it and it would look bad in a short time.

Just cannot tell from the px if an island is appropriate. If you are going to rent this, use items that are well built and easy to care for.

Posts: 7029 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by metwo:
Your picture is pretty small to see anything and only show one angle of the kitchen so these suggestions are general in nature.

If your cabinets are well built I would keep them. They appear to be flat so some molding would dress them up. I would not use brick in the kitchen. When you rent it the tenets may not be as vigil as you about cleaning it and it would look bad in a short time.

Just cannot tell from the px if an island is appropriate. If you are going to rent this, use items that are well built and easy to care for.

Thank you for the response! I tried hosting the image on some imageshack thing but I don't know why it only showed it as a thumbnail size. The cabinets are unfortunately terrible, awful, from the 80s...hopefully. When I was buying the place, they were sagging forward and the seller had to shore up their attachment to the wall. I knew what I was getting myself into with them but I always planned on replacing them.

Instead of an island, where the fridge is I'm thinking of having it moved so I can create a U-shape area with the counter. I think a designer would help but do they expect anything further if you just hire them to give you ideas? I wouldn't see a architect since I don't have an idea to begin with. I would love to just hire someone, 2-300$ to take a look, give me some sketches and that be that...when I have the time and money, then perhaps go through on one of their plans.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by metwo:

Try these pictures...

http://s15.postimg.org/kqw9vbpdn/Kitchen_Front.jpg

http://s22.postimg.org/54hnaltzl/Kitchen_Back.jpg

posted Hide Post
You can go to Home Depot or lowes. They have kitchen designers though I question how trained they are. But they might be able to give you some ideas which you can then adjust.

If you make it a U shape it would be logical to put the sink under the window but that means moving plumbing which can be expensive. Do you have a basement?

Is that bookcase leading to another area or is it possible to delete it?

Edited: oops!! Just looked at your px again. That window is too low for sink. Even too low for counter. Have to think about this.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: metwo,

Posts: 7029 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of keithglass
posted Hide Post
Your kitchen looking crowded with things hence I think you should shift dining table from your kitchen, if you have space available in the room adjacent to the kitchen.
Paint your cabinets white and use white colored things so that you can feel brightness in the kitchen.
www.thertastore.com

This message has been edited. Last edited by: keithglass,

Posts: 8 | Location: Hopewell Junction, NY United States | Registered: Oct 15, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What do you think of this kitchen with the window in an awkward location?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: HGTVAdmin,

Picture of keithglass
posted Hide Post
I think though window is in awkward position but it's importance is not avoidable hence it would be better to adjust according to that.

As I suggested earlier move the dining table in the room adjacent to the kitchen so that fridge can be moved from its place.

Keith Glass.

Posts: 8 | Location: Hopewell Junction, NY United States | Registered: Oct 15, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post