Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Kitchens & Baths
Hop To Forums   HGTV KitchenDesign
  Paint Color Suggestions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Paint Color Suggestions Sign In/Join 
posted
I posted earlier that I needed help with my green counter tops in my new home, but after taking another look, they are blue. They are still kind of an eye sore for me. As soon as I walk in the house the first thing I see is the blue counter tops. Anyways, I read that if I paint blue, then it will distract the eye from the counters. I've included a picture of the open concept. At first, I was thinking I would paint the dining area blue, but then I figured I would have to paint the rest of the kitchen blue and I am concerned about having to paint over the top of the cabinets. Maybe paint the living room blue instead? Or paint below or above the chair rail in the dining room? ANY suggestions would be welcomed. Thank you.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: maryjo881,

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jul 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is an additional pic...

posted Hide Post
Here is one last pic...

posted Hide Post
My suggestion would be the paint blue below the chair rail and maybe add some accessories in blue when you fix up the dinning area...if you'll have a window treatment, that could have blue in it.
Can you change up the backsplash? Something with blue and a couple of shades like you have the wall in the kitchen painted?

Posts: 57 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: Aug 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Maryjo,

Looks like a nice home!

Don't know what, if any, budgetary concerns you might have. If this were my kitchen and I wasn't able or ready to yank them all out, I would definitely do two things.

I would put in a very nice tile backsplash (on the stove side, at least) to distract the eye plus change at least the bar area countertop. That way, the blue wouldn't be as visible from the other rooms and if it was, the backsplash would distract, in a good way.

You do have a few options for the bar countertop, if you can't immediately do some type of solid-surface stone for budgetary reasons. You might consider the plaster treatment (available at big box hardware stores) that's done over the top of your existing countertop. Besides that, inexpensive stone can sometimes also be done on another surface and actually slipped over the top of the bar and down the front and sides. Or, you might think about granite tile.

If you do change the bar countertop and backsplash but also want to change out one more section, say the one by the eat-in area and stove, butcher block is probably the least expensive option. You could do that 1 section to set up a work area.

If you prefer to change out all the countertops, it wouldn't hurt to price out the butcher block but it could be a little woodsy - given your cabinets.

Best of luck, Maryjo. All of this post, JMHO.

ETA: Noticed a couple of granite-lookalike paint treatments talked about on another thread from Rustoleum and Giani Granite. No mention of the results so you'd want to search online and still check things out at your hardware store. Good Luck!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: blueday,

Posts: 139 | Registered: May 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know how she could change just the bar portion of the counter tops...it's all one piece.
I think changing the backslpash would be enough...but your suggestion for re surfacing the countertops is a good one...I just saw the Giani resurfacing done on the DIY channel...now I am thinking of doing it on my countertops...

Posts: 57 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: Aug 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe all of my suggestions could be accomplished as either an overlay or by being slipped over top of the bar. Alternatively, the bar portion could also be removed, if done properly. Given that's the most visible blue section - in fact, visible to multiple other rooms - altering the appearance of the bar section would most likely minimize the problem.

Maryjo, please post back if you'd like any more details on how I would set up one of these projects. I have a few ideas - can't guarantee they're the best ideas but it'd be a start. Also let us know what you decide to do.

All, JMHO. Best of luck -

This message has been edited. Last edited by: blueday,

Posts: 139 | Registered: May 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
bump

Posts: 4454 | Location: Texas | Registered: Mar 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post