Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Kitchens & Baths
Hop To Forums   HGTV KitchenDesign
  Backsplash Ideas Needed--Pics Included!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Backsplash Ideas Needed--Pics Included! Sign In/Join 
posted
I am seriously struggling with what to do with backsplash and paint color for our kitchen. We have honey oak colored cabinets, stainless steel/black appliances, grey slate floors and Madura Gold granite counter tops. I am so stuck! What to do?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: The Mrs.,

Posts: 4 | Registered: Aug 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another pic...

posted Hide Post
And here is the light that we're considering to replace the one in the pic...(this pic doesn't do it justice though).

posted Hide Post
Are you sure you want to change your backsplash? It is not the easiest thing to do.

Do you have enough light in the kitchen to handle something like a pumpkin color or terra cotta? Or maybe you don't like the orangey hues?

Need a hint about what you like. Smile

Posts: 7035 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh yes! We must change the backsplash. Right now it's blue and white tile--YUCK! I am definitely not opposed to color. In fact our front door (inside and out) is painted in Sherwin Williams Cayenne http://www.sherwin-williams.co...mily/SW6881-cayenne/.

For reference:
Floor Tile - http://cmtemplates.net/bestfio...elain%20Tile%202.jpg

Countertops - http://www.stonecontact.com/pi...adura-Gold-4492B.jpg

Again, our cabinets are a natural oak color, but we are not opposed to resurfacing those too.

Thanks for your help!

posted Hide Post
What a nice, colorful kitchen, Mrs! If you plan on changing out the cabinets, that decision should be made first.

If not, don't see why you can't pull out one of the oranges from your countertop. If it were my room, I'd select a shade that coordinates with the cabinets and your new light fixture plus provides a sense of flow through your home, starting with your cayenne front door.

Personally, I find the diagonals in your current backsplash distracting when placed inbetween the multi-colored countertop and the cabinets' indentations. Actually believe those diagonals would bother me more than the colors. Because of the color variation in your countertop, I'd keep the backsplash very simple.

Many, if not most orange tones will coordinate with your honey/natural oak cabinets. The floor looks a little dark - I might go fairly light but not too light on the backsplash. It needs to stand up against the cabinet color.

What's above the cabinets? Paint or a light colored paper? You might consider repainting that, after you make your other selections. Also, do you need the pot rack? It stops the eye. Your kitchen might feel much larger without it. Same thing for the nice light fixture you selected - it's more wood and might be a little heavy for the space. (Sorry, I know you didn't ask about those items.)

All of the above, JMHO. Best of luck with your project!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: blueday,

Posts: 139 | Registered: May 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
bump

Posts: 4454 | Location: Texas | Registered: Mar 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The rug looks out of place in your kitchen. The first thing I would do is get rid of that. When your cupboards get too old I would change to a color that matches your kitchen appliances better. The oak doesn't fit in with the color scheme I think. But I love Oak. Mixed feelings...

Posts: 15 | Registered: Aug 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any business person cheating on the rules of a message board is sure to cheat their customers.

Posts: 748 | Registered: Jan 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post