Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kitchen redo Sign In/Join 
posted
New refaced cabinets are rustic brown and we have an existing white, tiled backsplash that I would like to keep. Need advice for color of granite. I like the dark colored granite but wonder if I need to use a white background with brown/ black/ gold granite? Thanks!

Posts: 5 | Registered: Sep 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Would love to see photos of your finishes, Merry.

What's the purpose of the kitchen reno? Selling any time soon - say within the next 3-5 years?

Not sure if dark tones are the best option, even though everything you described sounds neutral. What's the flooring? Paint?

I'm just guessing in the dark w/o photos. Best of luck -

Posts: 139 | Registered: May 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I have a new iPad so if I send a photo, how do I address it?

posted Hide Post
Merry, ironically, I've never posted photos on HGTV myself. Don't know if any good instructions exist somewhere.

That said, I would try hitting the "Add Attachment?" link. (It's directly below the Message box.) It appears (to me, anyway) that it may allow you to insert a jpeg photo file.

If that doesn't work or your photos reside somewhere other than on your hard drive, I'd give the URL tab or possibly the Display Image tab from directly above the Message box a shot.

Let me know what works for future reference, if you have time. Also, can any other posters help us out?

Will look forward to checking out your kitchen!

posted Hide Post
Well until I figure out the photo l will try to give more info.
We will not be selling soon as we're retired in FL. we like a traditional look. New refaced cabinets are rustic brown, floor is large off white tiles and appliances and back splash are white. I like granite but am having trouble with the off whites in the granites going with the white so thought about a darker granite. My backsplash can be changed but not the appliances at this time. Thanks

posted Hide Post
Click "Reply", type a message, then click "Add Attachment?" which is in blue just at the bottom left of this message box. Then follow the instructions to add your saved photo. You may get a message that your attachment is too large, so I've started reducing mine to 50% before attempting to add them. I've never figured out how to add more than one photo per reply. I am a total klutz on the computer, so if I learned to add attachments, I'm sure you can do so as well. I just wish I could figure out why I can't add emoticons anymore!!!!!

Posts: 3241 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting and confirming my guess of the "Add Attachment?" tab, sms.

Hope you'll give it a try, Merry.

posted Hide Post
What is a 'rustic brown'? What shade would you call it? If they aren't too dark, you might try matching the cabinet color for the granite...about the same color/shade or just a little lighter. Then you won't have to worry about an off white granite and your white backsplash.

Posts: 57 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: Aug 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dear SMS,
When I hit add attachment it says File description....what's that? If I had an email address, I could send it.

posted Hide Post
When you get to that point, click Browse and that will take you to your files.

Posts: 3241 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks but the file source is grayed out and won't let me hit it. The file description is open but what do I put in it if the photo is in my photo album? Sorry but I need my 8 year old grand kid to do this!

posted Hide Post
hello merry, i think not that dark colored granite its nice if you have a light colored granite to enhance your kitchen. search at the net there are a lot of choices to choose from or visit Cumar they are one the best importers and fabricators of fine architectural stone.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Oct 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dark colored granite is going to add contrast to your kitchen (in reference to while tiles and appliances) while light colored granite will give that bright look. SO it totally depends upon you as to what exactly do you wish to achieve. You can search the internet and see various designs and mix and match of various tiles. You can also use the link to have a look at some options.
http://www.rbcarpets.com/products/stone-floor-tile/

Posts: 6 | Location: United States | Registered: Oct 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
bump

Posts: 4454 | Location: Texas | Registered: Mar 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post