1. Mark the exact location where you want to replace the copper pipe with a felt tip pen. Place a tubing cutter over the pipe and tighten the blade onto the mark. Rotate the cutter once, then tight and rotate a second time. Repeat until the pipe is cut through. Move to the other end of the copper pipe that needs replacing and cut it through.
2. Measure between the cut ends and cut a new piece of pipe to that length. Using an emery cloth, sand both ends of the existing pipe, the two ends of the new pipe and the insides of two straight couplings.
3. Apply lead-free soldering paste to all sanded areas with a small brush. Push the couplings onto each end of the new pipe and then attach the new pipe and couplings to the existing line.
4. Uncoil 10 inches of solder from its spool, bending the last 2 inches 90 degrees. Light the propane torch and move the flame over one coupling (front and back). When you hear the flux sizzling, take the flame away and touch the end of the solder to the seam between the coupling and copper pipe. If it melts, apply 3/4-inch of solder to the joint--capillary action will suck the solder down between the coupling and pipe. Wipe away excess solder with a rag (be careful, as it will be hot). Solder the second coupling using the same steps.
5. After marking with a felt tip pen, cut through the ABS sewer line using a hacksaw--make sure the cut is straight. Remove burrs with a tradesman's knife. Cut the ABS line at the other end of the piece you want to replace. Measure between the two cuts and cut a new pipe to the same length. Apply ABS glue to both cut ends.
6. Apply ABS glue also to one end of two straight ABS couplings. Push the glued ends onto each end of the new pipe. Then apply ABS glue to the cut ends on the existing line and the insides of the couplings. Insert the new couplings onto both ends of the existing line.
7. Follow the above steps for replacing PVC sewer lines, but prime all areas to be glued with PVC primer. Wait for the primer to dry--a few minutes--before applying PVC glue.
|Powered by Social Strata|