Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Kitchens & Baths
Hop To Forums   HGTV KitchenDesign
  Dated Small Kitchen Help! More New Pics, recent update! :)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dated Small Kitchen Help! More New Pics, recent update! :) Sign In/Join 
posted
Hi All,

New member here! Just wanted to see if I could get some help, inspiration, ideas, encouragement to start cheaply but nicely making some updates to our apartment kitchen.

Its incredibly small, has storage space, but is just put together weird. Not to mention its ugly... Luckily we've gotten the "ok" to restain the cabinets which I am excited for yet dreading the scraping and sanding process.

Anyway... I need some help with coming up with an affordable backsplash idea for the sink area and the stove. It CANNOT be permanent as its a rental and I dont have permission to tile. However, I've devised a plan of putting tiles on a wood backing measured to the size I want and mounting it like a picture. That way its removable.

So to get to the point of my post, here are some questions I have or places I need help with.

1. The counters are covered in faux pink granite with shades of smokey gray and a lighter gray. Thankfully I dont mind these colors but I am trying to figure out if they will "mesh" well with dark wood stain. We picked up Varathain stain & poly in the Kona color. Its a nice shade up from black and I am hoping it will give a nice dark chocolate feel.

2. With dark cabinets, pink & gray counters, what the heck paint color should I use for the rest of the kitchen?

3. Backsplash... I am wanting to make my own and mount it and I am not sure what colors to find. Pink tiles that actually look nice are apparently hard to find. There are a lot of blues and greens but not a lot of chocolate and pink or smoke and pink. What colors should I pick and focus on to make this space look cohesive?

4. What are some other tricks to help give this poor dated kitchen a more modern feel? We plan on putting on new hardware once the restaining is done. So it will be silver colored rather than bass/gold (yuck!), but other than that and a pretty tiled backsplash, what else can help?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Rachael B.,

Posts: 20 | Registered: Nov 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Btw, I do have pictures but cant seem to get them to post.

posted Hide Post
for the backsplash - are you allowed to paint? there are several web-based companies that sell wall stencils, huge variety of patterns. if you do a google search for "wall stencils", several companies will return. the BM facebook page also featured stencilled-backsplash. might cost less ** than tiles & supplies, and if you don't like it just repaint. good luck!

Posts: 27 | Registered: Jun 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SteelerinMD, thanks for the reply!

I actually just found this link that shows exactly what my idea is for the backsplash! This link totally gives me the inspiration I need to do that project.

Yes, we can paint, its just picking the color to go along with what we have that cant be changed. Take a look at this link, its the tile picture frame Smile

I will be making this! Smile Now to just figure out the rest.

http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks...-for-Your-Backsplash

posted Hide Post
Welcome!!
I love that backsplash you'll be making and hope you post photos when you're done..I think putting your backsplash on boards and hung like frames is a great idea...in keeping with the photo of the backsplash you posted the link for and the fact your counter top is also that pink & grey, I'm sure you can find some nice tiles in shades of grey for the rest of the backsplash...grey seems a popular tiles color.
For your walls, I'd go with a shade of grey, even two shades if that can be managed (we don't know how much wall space you have)...using nice brushed chrome/nickle hardware on the cabinets will tie it all together and using the grey shades will allow that color, and not the pink, to be primary.

There are instructions here someplace on how to post photos...best of luck to you.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jd47,

Posts: 57 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: Aug 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kitchen Designr
posted Hide Post
Hi, I love a good challenge and your kitchen sounds like one, small, rented, and outdated...

As far as paint color? I'm somewhat of a perfectionist so calling off colors without an actual picture is a tough call. If you're having trouble adding a picture just visit http://imgur.com/ and upload them - then paste the links here.

You've got to get creative with a temporary backsplash but here's an Idea that works great and is EXTREMELY cheap - clear Plexiglas.

Plexiglas adds depth by providing a reflective sheen to your backsplash like the picture I attached (here's a link just in case: http://goo.gl/I8ipk ) It's just as clear and clean as real glass without the costs or fragility.

Now the final product is only limited to your imagination and ability. Paint anything behind it; any colors, styles, or textures. Or you can use some really cool wallpapers.

If you want to add things on the surface that's super easy to - even a range mural or pattern like the link you shared.

Regular mastic or glue sticks well to plexiglas but first you'll want to rough up the surface. Use a 150 grit or less sandpaper and scratch the surface - clean the surface you just sanded and glue whatever you like to it.

*tip - use a dry erase marker or tape to mark the area you plan to sand.

You can buy long and tall sheets of Plexiglas from the big boys HD & L and I advise you do - they'll cut it for you right there and drill holes for you, if need be.

Hope I helped

JD KD

glass backsplash

Posts: 4 | Location: United States | Registered: Nov 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi JD KD Smile

Thanks for adding your input.

I am going to test the photo thing again...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

K I posted 3 pic links, I hope they go through.

They are of the kitchen cabinets that I am going to go to a dark chocolate brown. And then the granite pic is what our counters look like... Only the faux looks VERY faux and poorly installed.

posted Hide Post
Pics came through fine...even with going to the dark cabinets, you can bring out the grey in your counters with a nice shade (or two) of grey on the walls and brushed nickle/chrome for your hardware, and with backsplash, again, with the pink part you're going to make, tiles with shades of grey would look super...in my opinion.

You can find places on line where you can upload a photo of your room and then color it so you can see what it might look like...just do a Google search for such a program...
good luck and Happy Thanksgiving!

Posts: 57 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: Aug 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
YAY! It worked!

I hope this can help with giving ideas.

So here's some tiles I found to complement the counters for the backsplash picture frame idea.

From these colors, this is where I get stumped for pain color as I dont want to make it "too much" matchy matchy.

Photobucket

AND I want to make sure the chocolate cabinets will flow.

Thoughts? Inspiration?

posted Hide Post
Oh cool! Thanks JD47, I didnt see your post before I posted the tile pics. I will start looking for a soft gray.

I just didnt want it to feel like you were walking into a jail cell with gray walls. But I will see what colors I can pull to make it soft and keep it bright looking...

I also have 2 large windows in the kitchen. What sort of colors for curtains and type of curtains would work?

posted Hide Post
Hi RB,

Hey, the tiles look great...you found what I think is a perfect match to the counters and will allow that pink piece you're making for behind the stove really pop...too bad you can't change out the stove hood so it comes down lower to the stove...looks pretty high in the photos...I wonder if the landlord would at least allow you to add some kind of decrative border on the stove hood...you could get some tin & tin snips, and snip it along the bottom edge of tin using whatever edge type you like, maybe scalloped edge. Then glue it to the edge of the hood and along that edge use some tin buttons to dress it up. You'd have to get an enamel spray paint and spray the entire hood & new border.

I've always like grey...I think it's a 'classy' color when used right...
you might even experiment using some deep beige color to offset the grey and that would get the cabinet color meshed really well with the walls...would really need to see a photo or two of the full kitchen to give good enough suggestions...as for your window treatment, less is more, in my opinion...but I think you need to wait until you get the backsplash and walls done...then decide on what to do with the windows.

PS...by the way, jails don't use much grey anymore...mostly they paint walls a green color...so, not to worry. Smile

posted Hide Post
Ok I will get a pic of the whole kitchen and post it after lunch Cali time.

LOL about the color.

I am also thinking about faux crown molding with a bright white at the top of the wall, but I am not sure if that will work without painting the ceiling too. I wouldnt even know what to paint the ceiling. But I guess one thing at a time. We'll need to get the cabinets at least started so I can see what that looks like and go from there. I plan on down playing the pink accept for accents like towels and maybe some artwork eventually.

Yeah as far as the hood is concerned I'm not going to touch that. Just clean it up real well and ask for a new stove top as the current one is rusted and cracked badly.

I think I might just try and paint this weekend if I can find a color I like and crisp up some bright white edges. It will be a little backwards but at least it will feel like I am getting something done instead of sitting on a ton of ideas and not doing anything to put them into action.

posted Hide Post
Looking foward to the full kitchen photos...once you do that, and after Thanksgiving holiday weekend, I expect some other members will jump in...

I would suggest you take this one step at a time...you can add the crown molding later, you might decide it doesn't need that touch...especially in an apartment, unless you know for sure you'll be there for many years!

This may be late, but are you sure you want to go with chocolate cabinets...try finding some photos of kitchen caninets in grey shades...I think if you paint them a grey and glaze over with a pale pink color you might get something really cool looking...I've seen grey kitchen cabinets on some of the home shows on TV...like 'I Hate my Kitchen'...he's used grey in many kitchen re makes...

you might decide when you're all done to add that tin drop border to the stove hood...ya never know!!

I'll check back here again later today to see if you posted that kitchen photo...I'm Mountain time, so an hour later than you...

posted Hide Post
Here it is, in all its "glory". These are both taken from the entrace into the kitchen from our front room. Pretty much a tiny box.

Also, this is taken with just natural light. We only have one crappy ugly old lady looking light figure (single bulb) that we are replacing this weekend.

Photobucket

Photobucket

posted Hide Post
Have you got the cabinet paint yet? Now that I see the kitchen, yep, typical tiny apartment thing...are you sure you want to do the cabinets in a dark chocolate color? That corner where your frig is...dark city...if you want a feeling of the kitchen bigger, open, I really suggest you go light with your cabinets...you can then go two tone on the walls...bet your landlord would have no problem if you added a chair rail, then you can go darker on the bottom wall, lighter on top...you can put up chair rail using finishing nails and if you ever move, pulling the trim off is easy as can be and won't leave big holes in the wall....
I really think you should re think the cabinet color and do a Google search...I just did that and although I don't have time to look through them, go ahead and get up some photos of grey kitchens...you'll be pleasantly surprised. If you have the cabinet paint already and it's not a custom color, bet you could return it and get a different color...

http://www.google.com/search?s...761&biw=1772&bih=869

food for thought, RB!!

posted Hide Post
Hi Guys Smile well so far I am only $45 in and got 1/2 the kitchen just painted last night. I got home later and started later on this project so I am hoping once the sun is up I can get started again and have this painting project done before the afternoon so that I can enjoy the Holiday. Smile

Yeah... The configuration of this kitchen is really dumb and we've struggled with the microwave placement. It is very dark over in that corner but I found a color scheme that I really really like last night and decided to go for it. I am painting the trim bright white and the rest of the walls a nice soft light gray. We're also choosing to paint the ceiling the bright white too so it keeps the kitchen feeling brighter to offset the dark cabinets.

For my backsplashes I actually found some glass and real stone tiles that would work with the brown, gray and white color scheme. The tiles are the most expensive part and I am researching a way to get the most bang for my buck with them. I really wanted to "tile" the whole area above the counters, but due to budgeting I simply cant bring myself to spend THAT much $ on something that isnt mine. I know we're going to be here awhile though which spurs me to doing something I love. Eventually it might bother me and I might just do this little bit by little bit. For now however, the paint and cabinet refinish is going to make things look tons better. I plan on cleaning everything (getting rid of the obvious clutter) and if time allows start pulling off more doors to get sanding. Smile

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I will try to post pics of the progress. Smile

posted Hide Post
RB...well,good for you!! You got some pretty good suggestions here, me thinks...you seem to really want the chocolate color on your cabinets...so IMO, just be sure to get the brushed chrome hardware, I think those that are slim & long would work really well...if you go too small, they'll get lost.

Have you thought about maybe getting a different table & chairs...you could get a rectangle shape table and a bench to use against the wall, this way you can push the table towards the wall because it'll go over the bench, yet you still have extra seating when needed.

Do you have room for a small micro wave cart?

I look foward to seeing photos when you're all done...

good luck, have fun with it and enjoy Thanksgiving!!

posted Hide Post
Hi there, me again Smile

So you've seen the windows I have in the kitchen and I am trying to figure out what the heck sort of curtains to get.

Any ideas guys?

posted Hide Post
RB....do you have neighbors right out those windows...can anyone see in?

If not, you might just put up a couple of nice swag curtains (valances) and get nice new shades...the accordion type that go up & down without cords, or nice roller shades with fancy trim on the bottom.
If you go with the shades & swag curtains, install the shades on the inside of the window frames.

Swags only will also give an appearance of the room being bigger...

posted Hide Post
Yeah one window faces the street, we did have some privacy but they totally trimmed back the trees in front of our windows so you can see right in... So blinds of some sort ill be a must. Which for cost reasons I will probably just leave the current blinds and do a nice box pleat valance at the top of each window. I will be making them out of a similar shade of brown to balance out the cabinets since all the brown will be on that side of the kitchen. Those will still allow sunlight and dress up the windows a little. I'd fear getting any longer curtains and have them turn into a gross mess since our trash can lives on the side of the fridge right next to the window...

I'll post pics once the cabinets are done and I get the valances hung Smile Hopefully that will all be done by this weekend Smile Then I have to pick up cute decor items and start saving for my backsplash materials and tiles.

posted Hide Post
SWag curtains won't interferre with your trash can...they are just like a valance, but taper down the side of the window and usually reach about half way to the sill or less.

Roller shades are not expensive, but since you're gonna wait on that, you should consider getting the type of shades that will go up or down half way...this way you can have the shade on the bottom closed for privacy, and when privacy isn't an issue, open them all the way...

but, you have your plan...look foward to seeing the end results

posted Hide Post
The roller shades actually sound like a good idea since my cats have broken some of the plastic pieces in my current blinds. Looks rather tacky so that will have to be an investment at some point...

Its gotta be something that will look nice (I was thinking bright white faux wood blinds?) since we keep our windows closed most of the day while we're gone at work. Our apartment sits in a residential neighborhood so its almost like having a house with a front yard and side walks with people able to see in from the street. So that puts me on the quest to find something pretty on the inside, that allows natural light and offers privacy Smile (I love roman shades but those are very pricy unless I make them myself)

So I'll figure it out... Last night I got the bottom cabinet frame sanded and stained. All thats left is putting those doors on with new knobs and the bottom part of the cabinets are DONE! Then I gotta do the upper cabinet frame. Thats going to take me longer and be more of an uncomfortable job for sure... But I'm so close, I cant quit now!

posted Hide Post
Sounds like your into the home stretch? Yeah, mostly Roman blinds can be pricey...what would look really nice is wood shutters...if your windows are normal size you could get 4 pair, so they are on each half of the window, then your cats wouldn't be able to do any damage to them and you can keep the bottom shutters close for privacy and the top shutters open for light...me thinks your cats might do damage to the faux wood shades, something you'd need to look into. Roller shades come in many styles and materials are are relativley inexpensive.

Keep up the good work...I hope to get my kitchen started over the weekend...just about done putting the rest of the house together after the big DIY I did.

posted Hide Post
Omg that cabinets are DONE! Just waiting on my hardware to arrive and they are set!

Now onto the clean up and touch ups! My paint got messed up in some areas around the cabinets so I will be fixing those and then taking some better pics than what I have from last night.

The darker cabinets I am loving and it did make it feel darker yet cozier at the same time. I think once I get my under counter kitchen lights and decor it will help off set it. I can't wait to share the pics of the finished product. Hoping this week I can get my curtains made and put up and then start the decorating part Smile

Stay tuned! Pics will be coming soon I hope!

posted Hide Post
Way to go!! You can all sorts of advice and suggestions...but the bottom line is it's your kitchen so you need to do what you like...and you are!!

Look foward to the photos. Congrats.

I started my kitchen...just painting the walls for now, then the beadboard goes up, chair rails, new door trim and last will be the cabinet refacing.
I'm enoying this part a lot more than our living & family rooms!

posted Hide Post
Good for you! Have you started a thread yet and posted pics?? I'd love to see what you are up to as well! Smile

Yeah I'm so over revamping things right now but I look around the rest of the apartment and can't help but think what a few coats of a nice neutral color of paint, curtains and a rug would do for our front room and some paint for the bathroom would go a long way too. But after the kitchen taking 3 coats of paint/primer I am hesitant to start another painting project just yet. I want to keep my focus on the kitchen for now and get it completely "done" first before moving onto the next thing. Especially around the holidays.

So far I feel the colors I chose with the cabinets offers a ton better feel than the original look thats for sure. The counters actually look better with just tending to the stuff around them (walls and wood) without even doing something to change them. Over all the kitchen just feels cleaner and updated, cozier and just more "me"... I still have the backsplash to figure out as well... That project was the whole reason I started this (and because I HATED the color of the cabinets) so I need to figure out some tiles that actually work with my colors that arent over the moon expensive. Once I find them I will start that project which I am very excited to do Smile That will add a lot to the texture of the kitchen for sure. Right now it looks clean but boring and that tiles will help jazz it up Smile

posted Hide Post
Ok, I was going to wait till the kitchen was done before I posted pics but heres a pretty good sneak peek of whats been accomplished so far Smile

To me, this is a huge improvement!

More to come, hardware, paint touch ups, backsplash and I think I will go with white accessories. (Like a nice fruit bowl and a utensil holder)

Before:
Photobucket

After/During:
Photobucket

posted Hide Post
Nice job on your cabinets...when you are all done, post full kitchen photos...if you get white accessories, maybe white hardware for the cabinet doors & drawers...in a porcelin finish? Backsplash could also be white...or the same beige color of your counter tops.

I will finish painting my kitchen walls today and start putting the bead board up on the bottom portion, which will also get painted...had to order new chair rail, and that should be here early next week...once I get all the walls finished, I can re face the cabinets and add a new backsplash...was going to use the bead board for backsplsh, but today, between coats, I'm gonna look on line and see if I can't afford some tiles instead...

anyway...you're doing really good...

posted Hide Post
Thanks! Smile Not bad for my first time I think!

Yep, once the whole thing is done I will post pics. Most likely after the holidays we will also be replacing our dining table as it wont match the new decor at all and I dont particularly care for it. When we got married we had no clue what our "style" was so we just picked something functional and affordable. Its a really nice table, just not what I care for and for the space its too big. Now that I've figured out our style I can be more educated when purchasing the next Smile

How exciting for all of your updates in your home! I hope to see pictures!

Yes! My hardware is en route to me right now. I got some nice chrome knobs to match the faucet. I also got a very fancy pull for the little fake drawer directly under the sink. It had an ugly brass and white pull on it and the new one looks like chrome with some rhinestones in it just to give the cabinets a subtle bling to it. I will also be adding in subtle kitchen sparkle here and there for a tasteful twist on a kitchen that I'd like to spend time in. Smile because prior to the redo I hardly went in there because I hated it so much. Ugly and disorganized was pretty much it...

I can't wait to get everything all put together. Big Grin I know it will be really nice once I get done. Its just finding and figuring out what will work best thats difficult at this point. I'm looking forward to getting it done though and enjoying it Smile

posted Hide Post
I will post photos, like you, might be after the holidays, but maybe not...I am taking a five minute break from painting...been doing it in stages because I have a lot of physical issues I deal with everyday, and I cannot over do it...It's a beech getting old!!
Got the first coat done, now # 2 coat goes on and that will be the last of the painting,except the bead board on the bottom of the walls, which will be easy, and the cabinets & backsplash, if I decide to use the bead board for that....oh, I also have a small island that sits in fron of the stove, that is another thing I'll be doing over...but, that too won't be hard.

Looked at your kitchen table again...ya know, you can build a nice window seating there...under both windows...it's an easy project...just look up building window seats either here or on other DIY web sites...google it. They build them all the time if you watch the DIY programs on TV. Then you can get a small rectangle shaped table and just need to have 2 chairs on the open end of the table...the window seats would accomodate 4 people easily...oh, ya gotta move the trash can...hehehee!!

posted Hide Post
Well, kitchen planning and changing has been put on hold Frown Hubby got laid off last week so we're back to penny pinching. Frown

I did however order the cabinet lights so we should be getting those soon. Once those are up I will post more pics and I am hoping to get some tiles for cheap on ebay and I can start making my framed backsplash. Finally got our knobs up too. Smile

Post pics of your project! Big Grin

posted Hide Post
Very sorry to her about hubby being laid off...especially at this time of the year. Glad you got those things ordered already...and I bet you can find your backslpash on the cheap.

Look forward to more pics and sure hope this lay off doesn't last too long.

Hang in there!!

posted Hide Post
Hey guys, I'm back. Not sure how many are all that interested in my little dated apartment kitchen but I have some more pics and updates.

Got through Christmas and then got sick so I was home from work yesterday. Turns out our land lady stopped by to pick up rent and she wanted to see the cabinets while she was there. Granted I had been sick and the apartment was a mess with Christmas stuff and clutter. But, despite all that she fell in LOVE with what we did in the kitchen. She is actually going to reimburse us for what we invested and she wants to keep it all. In addition to that, she asked us if we'd be interested in doing the same thing to the other apartments that become vacant. She adored the color scheme that I chose and I ended up finding some very nice glass tiles to put together a back splash. I found them on ebay, I think it was left overs from a kitchen redo. I ended up getting 12, 12"x12" sheets of 1" mosaic tiles for $14. I couldnt pass that up so I got them. I have plenty to make both back splashes on a budget and now they dont have to be temporary. I am able to make them a permanent fixture in the kitchen since our land lady loved everything so much. I got super inspired by her visit yesterday and it felt good knowing that she liked it and appreciated the care we put into her property. Smile

Here's some of the newest pics, you can see how dark it was under the cabinets with just the one light source so we got LED lights to go under the cabinets that plug into a regular outlet. We also ordered a dimmer so we can set it to what ever brightness we want. Its a super cool little touch devise.

Pardon the clutter, but it at least gives you the idea. Smile I LOVE our new lights. So much better to clean and cook.
Photobucket

And then of course the pic of the tiles I finally purchased. They match perfectly!

Photobucket

posted Hide Post
Welcome back....indeed...it's looking great and it's wonderful your land lady has been so receptive to what you've done...so much so that she's paying for it...WOW!!

When you get your backsplash up and everything is done...be sure to post photos.

Happy New Year!!

posted Hide Post
Will do! Thanks for taking a look! Smile I am hoping to get the supplies for my backsplash tonight so I can get them at least started this weekend. It shouldnt take long for me to stick the tiles to a piece of wood and then hang it up. I just want to make sure I do the grouting process correctly. I dont want to screw this project up...

posted Hide Post
bump

Posts: 4454 | Location: Texas | Registered: Mar 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post