Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Kitchens & Baths
Hop To Forums   HGTV KitchenDesign
  hot rolled steel countertops
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

hot rolled steel countertops Sign In/Join 
posted
I saw hot rolled steel counter tops installed on the show Property Brothers. I have been searching for more information on this product without much success. I want to know how to seal it, how to take care of it. I would really like to hear from someone who has lived with it in his/her kitchen. Do you regret or love it? My husband likes the dark gray scale. I like a little patina.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Aug 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So interesting. I was a union welder in a shipyard, out of high school, and have also been on big outdoor sculpture projects that mixed steel and stone.

I've got some experience with steel as a work surface, including as worktables. As far as countertops go, well, I've spilled more than my share of coffee on my work tables.

Steel is porous, believe it or not. As for patina, you're talking about various flavors of oxidation. Basically, you either live with the surface as it changes naturally, or you lock in a look with some clear finish. For kitchen tops, I'd think you'd want to close off the surface, for sanitation's sake, if for no other reason.

I like the look of steel for shop tops, but for a kitchen, it seems to me you need to clearly understand the maintenance realities, and if you're comfortable with that, go for it.

I personally wouldn't like to serve food on it, because for me, it would feel too much like I'm at work again...

Posts: 337 | Location: Chicago, where else? | Registered: Jul 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Depends I have a stainless steel center island and love it as it does not harbor bacteria and works great as a surface and looks good with my stainless steel appliances .Did granite in my house in NJ and company dropped a platter on it and it got a big crack and the company tried ,tried hard to fix it because even though they had the granite in stock you could see the difference and since it was part of the largest and longest piece of counter it had to be replaced .I was somewhat lucky home owners insurance covered part of it as accidental breakage .

Posts: 531 | Registered: Jul 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stainless steel is definitely not hot rolled steel. Whole different material, completely different look.

The desired aesthetic from the hot rolled steel comes from the fire scale, which can't be had with stainless steel.

I've done steel furniture pieces in fire scale, and always shot them with polyurethane to seal and preserve the surface. You can probably find a clear spray epoxy, which would be harder, but as the surface in a kitchen would wear no matter what, I'm thinking the polyurethane would be easier to periodically re-do.

Regards.

Posts: 337 | Location: Chicago, where else? | Registered: Jul 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
bump

Posts: 4454 | Location: Texas | Registered: Mar 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PatV82
posted Hide Post
These stainless steel countertops are common in Europe. We had one while living in Germany, on the sink side of the compact kitchen. Retail stores sell lots of products to get that spit polish shine. Maybe expand your questions to international message boards.

www.pinterest.com/patv82

personallybypat.tumblr.com

Posts: 425 | Location: Aurora, Illinois | Registered: Jan 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The steel countertops looks very nice and beautiful.
As they need no paint but just some fine cleaning
and polish make them shinning.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: smith46,

Posts: 5 | Registered: May 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post