Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kitchen update help Sign In/Join 
posted
Live in a house that was built in the 50's. The kitchen is outdated and my wife and I desperately want to update, but don't have the funds to do a full remodel. The countertops are especially bad, as they are tiles in a burnt orange that need regrouting at the very least. Obviously, the preference would be to destroy them.

The cabinets were actually resurfaced probably 15 years are withe a light wood laminate over what I think are the original cabinets. The doors are flat. Structurally, the cabinets are rock solid and do not appear to have any issues, except that they are boring and probably would not look great with nice counters.

We have priced new quartz counters in a grey, cement like tone. The average is about 5k demoing current counters and installing new ones. We could swing this, no problem. But estimates for the cabinets are 15k for the cheapest of the cheap. That would not be good regardless.

We have not priced the cost of resurfacing cabinets but if it was 10k, that's probably too rich as well. If we replaced counters, I imagine we could not then replace cabinets later but might have a chance to resurface later. Does that seem sound?

So what to do. Would quartz counters with laminate cabinets look ridiculous in the meantime? Should we just grit our teeth and wait until we saved enough for the full deal? Any idea the cost of resurfacing with something other than laminate versus full replacement?

Thanks.

Posts: 25 | Registered: Mar 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I understand that a kitchen you do not like the look of can be very disgusting as you have to see it so often a day. BUT, before you do anything consider the layout of the kitchen. How does it function? Do you intend to change it?

Once you have your long-term plans think about what you can do now that you can reuse. Spending $5000 on countertops that you will throw away in a few years does not seem wise. If you intend to replace the cabinets ask if counter can be removed and replaced without damage.

Laminate can be painted. Molding can be added for interest. Most anything can be painted if properly prepared and top coated at the end.

If you are on a budget, DIY will save a lot of money.

Posts: 7315 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post