Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Kitchens & Baths
Hop To Forums   HGTV KitchenDesign
  First time homebuyer kitchen remodel - cabinets?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First time homebuyer kitchen remodel - cabinets? Sign In/Join 
posted
Ok, my wife and I have just closed on our first house. It's a nice house but VERY dated. The kitchen especially.

We've been to Lowe's, they drew up a nice plan and priced things out for us. We've been to a few websites and seen nice looking cabinets for various other prices. Can you give any guidance as to what we should and should not be looking for?

At Lowe's we were recommended Diamond Reflections line products. The model specifically is Dresden.

Through different remodeling websites we have been recommended JSI and JK cabinets.

I've seen good and bad reviews about just about everything out there. What should we be looking for specifically and where should we be looking?

Thank you so much for reading.

We live in the Boston area, if that helps. It doesn't help that I just moved here after getting out of the Marine Corps (I'm from Georgia originally), I don't know anything around here.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Aug 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A company will recommend the brand they sell. Remember it is the case of the cabinet (not the doors) that really makes a differnece. I suggest you read up on this.

Also find a local cabinet shop and get an estimate from them. Sometimes and for some things they are cheaper and better than the big box store.

Posts: 7243 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Definitely check with a local shop. My uncle had a custom cabinet shop and also sold high end brands. My house was built in the 50's and his advice to me was to keep the site built cabinets I had. I had my carpenter build a unit for the opposite wall (on my uncle's advice since what I wanted was fairly simple). You might be surprised and pleased at the advice/service you can get from a local shop.

Posts: 3511 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I woud definitely look up a few local shops to see what they can do for you. Odds are you will find one or two that can do, price wise, what some of the big box stores will offer.Im not sure about JSI, but if it is the JK Cabinets that I know of, they are a Chinese product that is more or less junk, but they stock all cabinets and can have them to you in a week. Not knocking overseas made products, just the cabinets themselves.Look up a couple local carpentry companies too. A good carpenter can usually do cabinet layouts, or work off the ones you got from Lowes, and make some recommendations on cabinets.

Christopher R. Johnson
Journeyman Carpenter &
Home Remodeling Expert
www.CreativeTouchCarpentry.com

Posts: 30 | Location: Westmont, Il | Registered: May 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would like to recommend Caldwells store at Bay Area, San Francisco or you can visit here about their product portfolio. I can personally that it is a best place to get your furniture needs like cabinets with various design of doors.

Posts: 7 | Location: USA | Registered: May 06, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post