Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Kitchens & Baths
Hop To Forums   HGTV KitchenDesign
  Kitchen/Living Room Color
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kitchen/Living Room Color Sign In/Join 
posted
I need help to lighten my kitchen and living room. The cabinets are a brown mahogany stained with a black j-bar island opening up to living room. I want a lighter color to brighten the space and wanting a beach theme as much as I can. 5 windows facing the east and 2 facing south. As soon as I am able I will add more pictures.
Thanks for all help in advance.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kenziebeth,

Posts: 11 | Registered: Feb 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I hear beachy my first thought is blue or blue/green but I suppose it does not have to be. I think what you don't like is that everything is the same tone, something a lot of us tend to do.

When you look at your photo you see green and brown. But when you squint your eyes and look the colors fade together. Only the white stands out. The green and brown are both a medium color. If you pick another medium color you will have the same problem. If you want beachy I would go with a light color.

Posts: 7027 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
I think that the color of the ceiling would look great on the walls. Then you could add beachy accents and make changes if you tire of them.

I think that I would then consider painting that white door the same as the wall color. I see green, black, brown, white, tan....currently.

Posts: 3155 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a bedroom painted with the ceiling BM Powell Buff (which looks similar to your ceiling) and the walls BM Buxton Blue(a rich robin's egg blue). I love it. My kitchen walls are Martin Senour Monet Vert which is a very pale aqua which I also love, but I don't think would be good with your ceiling color.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sms29s66,

Posts: 3410 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kitchen:

Posts: 3410 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post