Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Kitchens & Baths
Hop To Forums   HGTV KitchenDesign
  Hiding an electric range
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hiding an electric range Sign In/Join 
posted
Overview: A U-shaped kitchen, with a drop-in range currently on the "right arm" of the U. Wanting a range that has a cavern for an oven (plus keeping cost down), we're buying a stand-alone range. We're going to cut off most of the "right arm" of that U, and place the range there.

Now the challenge: On the OTHER side of the "right arm" of the U is the dining room. This means that people there look at the back of the range control panel in all its stamped-metal glory.

The two ideas we've come up with so far: 1) Have a cabinet built, adding some storage, and tall enough to hide the range. Disadvantage: Costs nearly twice what the range does. 2) Go with another drop-in/slide-in range. Disadvantage: Costs about the same as the free-standing range PLUS the cabinet, plus the oven is a cubic foot smaller.

Anyone else dealt with a similar situation &/or have any brilliant flashes of inexpensive inspiration?

Posts: 1 | Location: United States | Registered: Dec 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
If I am understanding (not sure if I am)....building a sort of fake wall that covers the back of the range should not be that expensive? Using the same wood, finish plywood, stained to match with a 2x4 or even 2x2 wood frame. Trim/stain/finish to coordinate with the kitchen cabinets. If you are not handy, a cabinet shop or pros at a Mom/Pop lumberyard may be able to create it for you...for a lot less money than you think?

If you have collections of small items, even some shallow shelving facing the dining area could work.

But as I mentioned, perhaps I am not seeing this exactly as you are describing.

Posts: 9664 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post