HGTV Message Boards
Mixing styles?

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.hgtv.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4841057842/m/3483960767

Jan 22, 2013, 08:57 AM
Forensicmom
Mixing styles?
What happens if you like several different styles? How do you pick things so they will work together? I love some of the contemporary, tuscan, and traditional looks but I want a classic look that won't go out of style in a few years. Does that make sense?

We are painting our cabinets an off white and the layout will be the same. I'm just having a hard time picking countertops, backsplash and lighting because I can't narrow down my taste.

Happily married and mom of 4
Central maryland - Zone 7
Jan 23, 2013, 09:21 AM
AguaBella
Sounds like you're off to a good start with your off-white.

If you stick with a good quality, neutral base, you can mix in other styles or trends with fabrics and accessories. That way, you can easily try things out and also limit your investment if/when your tastes or styles change.

Good Luck!
Jan 24, 2013, 02:38 PM
zone9alady
Mixing styles is done all the time. It usually makes a more interesting kitchen,

HOUZZ has a lot of photos of mixed styles...

http://www.houzz.com/eclectic-kitchen

This message has been edited. Last edited by: zone9alady,

Whether You Think You Can Or You Think You Can't..... You're Right - Henry Ford
Jan 24, 2013, 06:01 PM
Charles D
Kitchens rarely look like they do in magazines. By the time you pull out the blender, fix the kids their lunches and hang their art work on the fridge, the kitchen has a normal amount of clutter. For this reason, I am not a fan of mixing styles in the kitchen. I think a normal kitchen on any given day has enough "mish-mash" without adding to it with eclectic design. But that's JMHO.
Jan 29, 2013, 08:43 AM
Forensicmom
Thanks so much. I'm getting very excited about picking things out. I can't wait to post before and after pictures. However, we probably won't be starting for another month or so. I'm just figuring out what I want ahead of time.

Happily married and mom of 4
Central maryland - Zone 7
Apr 24, 2013, 10:52 PM
Becky42
bumo