Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Kitchens & Baths
Hop To Forums   HGTV KitchenDesign
  Blending Wood and Painted Cabinets
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blending Wood and Painted Cabinets Sign In/Join 
posted
I am adding cabinets, a desk area and a small island in my kitchen. The existing cabinets are oak (I know not a popular choice these days, but I love them). The desk area is approx 60 inches, right next to it is the pantry area which is approximately 80 inches. I want to paint the desk/hutch area farmhouse red, and now I am thinking I want to maybe paint the new 80 inch pantry area red as well. The pantry desk area is across the room from the existing cabinets. I would like some opinions. And what about the island in the middle of both sets of cabinets? Oak or red? BTW, the desk top on the red desk is going to be stained wood. Any ideas/opinions appreciated.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did you make a decision yet? I can't really offer a good opinion b/c I'm jut not sure. To me, I would so go for it and see it looks. If it doesn't look as good as you want, then repaint it a different color.

Happily married and mom of 4
Central maryland - Zone 7

Posts: 7650 | Location: Maryland, USA | Registered: Jun 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kitchen is one way that expresses to look good for repainting the cabinet properly.

-- Aljur Abby
Blue Hand Home

Posts: 19 | Registered: Feb 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have made a decision. The desk area and the island is going to be farmhouse red, the rest of the cabinets will be stained. I just had the walls painted a grayish beige. It looks great with the red color. New quartz countertops from Cambria which will be darker brown, creme, black and a tiny bit of cranberry. I'm feeling good about it; hope I'm not disappointed! Thanks for the comments!

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
bump

Posts: 4454 | Location: Texas | Registered: Mar 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post