Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Kitchens & Baths
Hop To Forums   HGTV KitchenDesign
  Kitchen Cabinet Stain Color
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kitchen Cabinet Stain Color Sign In/Join 
posted
Building a new house and trying to decide what the 2014 trends are for kitchen cabinet color. Haven't decided on type of wood yet but definitely will stain the wood (not white or any color). Like the little darker tones but not sure if that is still in. Will probably go with a little darker counter top. This is for a young guy building his first house.

Posts: 43 | Registered: Jan 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why would you what to go with a "trend"? Do you intend to replace your kitchen cabinets every few years? You would be better served using something classic.

Posts: 7049 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with you metwo. What would you suggest?

posted Hide Post
I am a little confused. You just redid your kitchen. Is this a house you are building to sell to someone else? A specific person or is a young male the intended target?

Posts: 7049 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the confusion. We remodeled our kitchen last winter. Our son (26 yrs) is now going to build a house and trying to decide on color of stain to go to in his new house. Hope that helps.

posted Hide Post
Do not go too dark or too light. Though the designers deny it, the dark colors used now are similar in tone to all those 70's dark kitchens that were all torn out because the darkness got oppressive.

While white is classic it is probably nott practical in your case. Do not use paint of any sort. Even a glaze has to be chosen carefully.

I am disappointed to hear you are using a dark countertop. I have black (chosen by previous owner) and it ***** the light out of the room. Every house I have been in with dark countertops looks nice but needs a lot of extra light.