HGTV Message Boards
Kitchen Layout New Home

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.hgtv.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4841057842/m/2683907667

Jan 13, 2013, 12:46 AM
RichardDay
Kitchen Layout New Home
We are working on our kitchen layout for our new house and could use some input on the layout.

I am the main cook and I am 6' 4" so I don't want to have to bend down for everything. We don't have children.

I don't really want the cook top on the island because I don't want a hood to block the view out the windows.From what I understand the pop up and down draft do not work as well as a hood.

The cooktop seems a little tight where it is now. The wall is about 8' total so 6' past the counter.

I would prefer to keep the fridge where it is so it can be recessed in to the garage space.

I would be interested to see what people think would be a good layout.

Thanks,
Richard

Jan 13, 2013, 02:55 AM
Chuck Steak
The way you show it would put your main work area next to the sink above the dishwasher. That would be about fifteen feet from the refigerator which is a long way to go for the butter, the eggs, the milk, the lettuce, the meat, the mustard...you get the idea. I'd suggest keeping the layout much the same but moving the stove to the opposite side, on the same wall as the refrigerator.

This would move your prep area to the other side of the sink, much closer to the refrigerator. It would also clear the area near the dishwasher so that could be opened and used while you were prepping and cooking. My assumption is if you cook, someone else has to do the cleanup and that will keep them out of your way.
Jan 13, 2013, 09:17 AM
metwo
I like your layout out. Personal preference, I know, but I'd keep the counter next to the frig for baking and for small appliances, so they do not clutter the main kitchen area.

Very good job designing that.
Jan 13, 2013, 11:21 AM
RichardDay
Thanks for the input!! It is nice to see what others think.

Chuck Steak- If I moved the cooktop to the fridge wall would you put ovens in the island or on the wall where the cooktop was?

What about wall oven and microwave placement?
I would like to have both above the counter at a comfortable height but that takes a bunch of room above the counter.

Do most people agree to keep the cooktop off the island because of having to use a popup or downdraft vent --- a hood would block the view?
Or should I raise the hood to about 40" above the cooktop to be above my view?

Thoughts on warming drawers, appliance garages, coffee centers?

There is a large walk in pantry beside the fridge location.

Thanks

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RichardDay,
Jan 13, 2013, 01:32 PM
metwo
I have a downdraft and really dislike it. It does not do much. I would agree with you to keep the stove out of the island for that reason. (I think the hood would be blocking. I do not know how efficient it would be if higher than normal. Something to check out.)

If you want to change to a cooktop/walloven you will lose a lot of counter space. You have to decide if that is a good trade off for you. I would put the wall oven on the same wall as the frig leaving enough counter space on each side for landing.

Beside the placement of the appliances you should also be considering your storage. For example..if I put the stove here where will I keep things that will be convenient to it. Your pantry is nice but you don't want to store everything that far away.
Jan 14, 2013, 01:04 AM
Chuck Steak
I prefer stoves/ranges because the same space is utilized for both the cooktop and ovens but if you want wall ovens I'd put them at the far end of the counter where the cooktop now shows, next to what appears to be a doorway to another room. We can't see what is on the wall opposite the sink, but that might also be an okay location for ovens but it would be some distance from your main prep area. I never think of an island as a practical place for cooking for your hood concerns as well as heat, airborne grease, and safety. Sitting at an island with an operating cooktop is not really pleasant. If you often have helpers in the kitchen the island can be a good place for a small prep sink.
Jan 16, 2013, 04:46 AM
JackSmith123
you can remodel it according to your wish , this helps you to make yourself fine and work good. The fridge and other things can also be set accordingly.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JackSmith123,

brownstone brooklyn
Jan 19, 2013, 12:57 AM
RichardDay
Thanks for all the great input. I will think on it for a little while and post back the design we pick.
Jan 20, 2013, 10:23 AM
sissy77
go for a microwave drawer as it is much easier to get stuff out of .I had one installed in my island 5 weeks ago and it is great ,pull food out and put on counter above .Look into toe kick vacuum also I have that and put one under my fridge and under my range and those are on switches no more pulling those appliances to clean under them .The next thing I want is a prep sink .But I put in a in the counter sink that is a steamer and cook unit instead .I still would like a built in coffee machine .
Jan 20, 2013, 10:44 AM
metwo
Please post back, Richard, even if it is some time. It will be interesting to see what you decide will work for you.
Apr 24, 2013, 10:53 PM
Becky42
bump