Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Kitchens & Baths
Hop To Forums   HGTV KitchenDesign
  Vent Hood chimney off center
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vent Hood chimney off center Sign In/Join 
Picture of Bimmer
posted
Hello all.

My wife and I are building a new house. We are having the builder put in a very low-end cooktop and vent hood, because what we really wanted was not available through them.

There are cabinets above the cooktop, and the chimney for the vent hood goes through them, into the ceiling, and out the side of the house. The problem is that the chimney is not in the center of the 2 cabinets, it's probably about 6 inches or so to the right of center.

Our original plan was to pull the cabinets out and put in a stainless and glass vent hood, that had a matching shroud all the way up to the ceiling. But everything I've looked at is really dependant on the chimney being in the center, not 6 inches off.

At this point there is no way the builder is going to change it. So what are my options for dealing with this? We are OK with keeping the cabinets if we have to, but we really would like a beautiful vent hood in there to go with everything else in our kitchen.

If it will help, I can take some pics when I stop by the house after work and upload them here.

Thank you

Bimmer

Posts: 4 | Location: United States | Registered: May 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You Are building a new house. Why are you settling for something you don't want? Why are you allowing the builder to do bad workmanship? If he can't figure out the distance between two cabinets what else didnt he measure correctly? Maybe something that you can't see right now? If he just made a mistake why isn't he fixing it? Did you tell him? Voice your displeasure? It can be fixed and it should be at his expense.

If he can't or won't get the cooktop/vent you want you can buy it and have him install it. If you are deciding to go with something else for now because of expense be sure you are using standard sizes so it is not a big remodel when you go to replace them.

Posts: 6720 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My guess is there is a ceiling joist running right where the center of the hood vent is supposed to go. In my opinion, this is very poor planning on the builders end. This certainly should have and could have been avoided in the planning and building of the home. My guess here, is the options you are wanting are just not options offered or even considered by the builder, which tends to cause such problems down the road when you are able to and looking to make your own special touches to your home. It is much easier on their end to pull the vent over and center it in the cabinet than pre plan to make it center at the beginning. There are some custom hood vents out there that will allow you make up that distance, it will just cause you to have a shroud that will be wider at the top to make that offset. I know it is not an ideal situation, but certainly not the end of the world, just time to get a little creative and roll with it.

Christopher R. Johnson
Journeyman Carpenter &
Home Remodeling Expert
www.CreativeTouchCarpentry.com

Posts: 30 | Location: Westmont, Il | Registered: May 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bimmer
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply. This is not a "Custom" built house. It's a house being built in a new development, and we had to stick to the options that the builders have available for appliances. We did ask them about bringing in our own appliances and them installing them, but they would not permit that because it's not "Technically" my house until we go to the closing table, so they would not put something that I own into a house that I don't yet own, and therefore they would be responsible for it.

As for the placement of the vent hood chimney, this is apparently their normal placement for it. Their logic behind it is that if they put it in the center, that would make both cabinets unusable. But this way, at least one of them is usable.

The builder doesn't consider this a problem because the chimney will be boxed in and not visible, and they will somehow get the vent hood that they install to work with this.

So, does anybody have any ideas of how I can work with this and put in a proper vent hood?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bimmer,

Posts: 4 | Location: United States | Registered: May 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bimmer
posted Hide Post
Thanks Chris. Any chance you could point me in the direction of some of those custom hood vents?

posted Hide Post
Can you post a website that shows the hood you eventually want? Maybe that will give us some idea.

Posts: 6720 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bimmer
posted Hide Post
What we would really like to do is take out the cabinets, put in a stainless and glass vent hood, with a shroud that runs up to the ceiling.

But because of the placement of the chimney, that could be problematic. So honestly we're open to recommendations, if anybody has some. We can keep the cabinets there if need be, but we want to at least stick with a stainless vent hood.

This is what we like.

posted Hide Post
Can't help thinking he's full of it. I'd be more worried about the quality of his work. Something just doesn't smell right here.

Posts: 1923 | Location: Northern New Jersey | Registered: Mar 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post