Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Kitchens & Baths
Hop To Forums   HGTV KitchenDesign
  Granite installation question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Granite installation question Sign In/Join 
posted
In the process of hearing back from some local granite countertop installers, but I wanted some additional perspective:

In going from a laminate to granite countertop, how much additional reinforcement usually needs to be performed? I know every situation is different, just wanted a rough idea

Should "reinforcement" be included in a typical installation?

Any other questions I should be aware of regarding installation?

Thanks

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jan 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Handie Ann
posted Hide Post
When we had our granite installed we put down two layers of plywood before they came to install the granite. This was on new cabenuts with no previous counter top on them. other than that we did not do anything else, they did it all including the clean up after. but we did have to do the sealing of the granite which did not take very long. We also said that we would do the back splash as we were not going to use the granite for it.

Handie Ann

Posts: 3543 | Location: Des Moines, Wa. USA | Registered: Jan 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The answer is...usually...none. If the cabinets are of sturdy construction and the thickness of the stone is not oversized, you probably don't need to do anything. Solid wood or particle board boxes will support the stone; if they were made at a time when boxes were made from 1/4 inch plywood, you may be in trouble. In general, no top is put on the boxes before the stone is installed; that would complicate a sink installation and put wood in an area susceptible to water infiltration.

Posts: 748 | Registered: Jan 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Granite fabrication and installation are two different tasks and can be really difficult. The best thing that you should do is to look for a reputable company that can do both.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jan 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agree with Chuck Steak, our granite sits right on top of the cabinets. I guess if the cabinets are made of particle board this might present a problem. You have to discuss this with the installer. Our fabricator comes out and measures and discusses what will be done. If you had wood underneath, the granite edge would have to be thicker to hide the wood, this can be done but it takes more work and expense.

You also have to make certain that the walls are plumb so that there isn't too much of a gap where the granite/stone meets the wall. If you are installing a granite or tile backsplash that isn't usually a problem but if you don't have any backsplash there might be a gap all depending on your walls.

I can't emphasize enough, get a good fabricator/installer. They can anticipate any issues, they have the experience to help you with your project. This isn't a do it yourself situation or one where they just drop off the granite and you install it yourself.

Posts: 3198 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post