Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

IKEA kitchens - Sign In/Join 
Picture of Sunny Daze
posted
I came across this article and found it interesting and thought I'd share.

www.carolreeddesign.blogspot.c...e-ikea-kitchens.html

Posts: 2544 | Location: usa | Registered: Sep 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
wow that kitchen was beautiful . although I dont like white cabinets ...I love Ikea

Posts: 351 | Registered: Oct 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
She's got a knack for Ikea, that's for sure. What she has to say is worth noting, cause she points out the limitations, which helps a lot.

I have an issue with using white marble in the kitchen, but most of her stuff looks practical. Guess I can't blame her for going for the impact in a showroom setting - but I had a well educated, successful businesswoman ask me just a few days ago why white marble isn't a good idea in a kitchen; precisely because of all the white marble tops in design magazines.

I set stone on Ikea sometimes, have for years, and ALWAYS have to provide steel reinforcement at the cooktops and sinks. If you do stone on them, you just have to do that - unless you don't care about your customers.

The best system is heavy guage square steel tubing, with mounting flanges at the ends.

Regards.

Posts: 337 | Location: Chicago, where else? | Registered: Jul 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
What came to my mind were the sterile white metal cabinets in the first house we rented just starting out in married life...built in the 1950s.

This is definitely not my style.

Posts: 16575 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Sherry,

Your avatar brings to my mind that old Queen song. Man, Freddie Mercury had some pipes.

Posts: 337 | Location: Chicago, where else? | Registered: Jul 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
I read her pros and cons, and the cons are definitely a deal breaker. I like a lot of stuff at IKEA but their kitchens are less than ideal for me. They feel cold and a little cheap. I do like the self closing drawers and the imaginative storage options but basic materials look and feel flimsy to me.

One of the biggest pains is checking out, I couldn't imagine trying to get out of the store with a whole kitchen in boxes.

Whether You Think You Can Or You Think You Can't..... You're Right - Henry Ford

Posts: 7295 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
LOL These super-sized avatars since admin did whatever they did. Had to go to youtube to revisit the song. LOL

Posts: 16575 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fantastic images..This is the what I need for my new home. The IKEA is one of the famous cabinets and it is always being a first choice for me. Great work.Buy kitchen cabinets online

Posts: 1 | Location: 3710 Gulf Of Mexico Dr, #G32 Longboat Key, FL 34228 | Registered: May 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Belstone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Washington:
Fantastic images..This is the what I need for my new home. The IKEA is one of the famous cabinets and it is always being a first choice for me. Great work.Buy kitchen cabinets online

I don't open links I don't trust, but I'm sure you're advertising...I've reported you. Read the rules, dumbo.

**Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain**

Posts: 3637 | Location: Here, by the grace of God... | Registered: Jan 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
Who posts their FULL address for the Location?

Whether You Think You Can Or You Think You Can't..... You're Right - Henry Ford

Posts: 7295 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
bump

Posts: 4454 | Location: Texas | Registered: Mar 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post