Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Kitchens & Baths
Hop To Forums   HGTV KitchenDesign
  countertop options???
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

countertop options??? Sign In/Join 
posted
We are building a home and although I like the look of granite I heard it is hard to maintain.

I don't want butcher block or concrete counters so what other options are cheaper than granite that look great and are modern for future resale.

I heard there is a countertop that if you put anything hot on it that it won't burn the counter.

Thanks!

Posts: 864 | Registered: Mar 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Stainless steel, marble and concrete are the most heat resistant counter top surfaces that I am aware of. But they all seem to have their good and bad points.

Tile is not one I would personally choose, but it can also be fairly inexpensive and is heat resistant.

Just my opinion, But if I were looking for an inexpensive counter top, I would still really consider a laminate (cannot beat all the colors/textures and edge choices for the price) Place a couple of heat resistant clear covers to set hot baking/cooking pans on it and it can be very serviceable. And one can have any look you want.

Posts: 9670 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks so much, I read about granite and sealing it at least yearly so not thrilled with that. I will go to our local home center and check out my options, thanks for your help!

Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Research is good.
Granite sealing times are also determined by what type of cleaners you tend to use. I don't think sealing is difficult either. Clean it well, apply sealant and allow to dry. Buff if necessary.

But when you talk about placing HOT items, granite is not necessarily indestructible and tends to be cold, so a very hot dish might actually cause a crack in the surface if there was a vein nearby. A protective hot pad, glass or wood board or such would still be my choice for protection in those cases.

Posts: 9670 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks,I understand and I am very good about placing a hot pad or something under hot dishes and I will be extra careful with new counters.

Thanks!

Picture of lenie
posted Hide Post
I am also searching my new countertops. I didn't want the maintenance of granite either, but have been told by all the granite places here that there is a 15 yr sealant they use now. No worries with granite. Hmmmm, sounds too good to be true, but I guess they know more than I do about it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lenie,

Posts: 811 | Location: southern | Registered: Nov 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
I'd look at places other than the local big box for your granite. We haven't done granite, yet, but a lot of my neighbors have and all have gotten better deals away from big blue and big orange.

With one heading off to college next month and one following two years later granite counters are fairly low on my priority list right now. That said, of the solid surfaces I like it the best. A second choice though more expensive than the lower grades of granite would be Silestone. Silestone and its competing products are lower maintenance than granite, but sealing granite isn't exactly rocket science.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

I am not an employee of HGTV, nor is anyone else that posts here.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 6987 | Location: Cary, North Carolina | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have had granite in our last two homes. We bought a cleaner/sealant combo at a local tile store and used it once a week. The rest of the week we used vinegar windex. I don't know if you're not supposed to use windex. We did it in one house for 3 years and the next house for 8 years and never had a problem.Unless you are going to spend the money on a high end quartz, I can't imagine what would be tougher than granite. Stainless scratches, marble is softer and more porous than granite so I would imagine it stains and burns more easily.

We are in the process of researching our third kitchen and I'm pretty sure we are using granite again.

Posts: 1800 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i prefer granite. granite is a natural stone and must be treated with special care. if you sealed the granite, you will need to clean it regularly or preferably after use to prevent build up of dirt and grime. proper maintenance will last your granite for a lifetime.

Posts: 6 | Registered: Jan 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lenie
posted Hide Post
I searched quite a while for new countertops and chose granite. It's quite expensive but I just loved the look better than quartz or solid surface. I am replacing 18 yr old Formica. I used a local dealer and they sent me to their distributor and I picked out my own slabs. All dealers told me about the 15 yr sealant, and I hope that is true.

Posts: 811 | Location: southern | Registered: Nov 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would wonder about the 15 year sealant. It all depends on the type of granite, if you cook a lot, etc. You can tell if the sealant is working if you sprinkle some water on the granite, if it beads you are ok, if not you need to clean and seal it again. There are lots of products on the market to do it and it takes very little time and effort.

Posts: 3247 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are alternatives available like Solid surfacing, quartz,marble etc. We have Quartz surfacing at our home. It look very stylish and has solid surfacing that's why very easy to maintain. Quartz surfacing are available in many different pattern and colors as well choose the one that compliments your Kitchen Cabinet .

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Lara K Brown,

Posts: 3 | Location: 3898 Via Poinciana, Lake Worth, FL 33467 | Registered: Oct 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Quartz comes in many variations: Casearstone, Silestone, etc.

Another new one is Dekton: http://www.dekton.com/usa/

Posts: 2 | Location: NJ | Registered: Oct 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In addition to these Quartz is scratch, stain and heat resistant.

Posts: 3 | Location: 3898 Via Poinciana, Lake Worth, FL 33467 | Registered: Oct 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post