Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Backsplash ideas Sign In/Join 
posted
Hello,

Hoping that some of you can provide advise/input. We have chosen our new granite (delicatus cream)and our cabinets are a cherry/burgundy (see attached picture). I am having a hard time figuring out what to do for a backsplash. I want something clean and modern - maybe black or the taupe color in the granite?

Looking for your suggestions!

Thanks!

Granite and counter

Posts: 7 | Registered: Feb 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Attached is my kitchen layout.

Thanks in advance!

kitchen layout

posted Hide Post
Something like this with your colors??? (And, boy, Charles D, do I ever owe you an apology. I find myself liking the subway pattern more and more!)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sms29s66,

Posts: 3243 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of My dog
posted Hide Post
I think something in black or dark gray would be gorgeous with your Granite.

~Jean~ in garden zone 6b

Posts: 5663 | Location: WV... no jokes please, I've heard them all, trust me. | Registered: Oct 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions - I was also debating black/grey - what kind of designs are more on the modern side? I do like subway tiles!

But a concern is, would it darken the kitchen too much?

Attached is what I looking at.

black grey tiles

Picture of My dog
posted Hide Post
megan, repost this on the Decorating" thread...you'll get a lot more responses over there. This thread isn't as active.

~Jean~ in garden zone 6b

Posts: 5663 | Location: WV... no jokes please, I've heard them all, trust me. | Registered: Oct 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of My dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MeghaB:
Thanks for the suggestions - I was also debating black/grey - what kind of designs are more on the modern side? I do like subway tiles!

But a concern is, would it darken the kitchen too much?

Actually, I'm rethinking my response...that would be too dark.

Maybe something in white and dark grey or black? Go to a large tile store and bring pictures of your kitchen. It can take days/weeks to look through everything but I'm sure you'll find the perfect backsplash.

~Jean~ in garden zone 6b

posted Hide Post
What about this glass tile (I'm partial to it) tweaked with the colors in your counter? Remember, undercabinet lighting will make it sparkle!

Posts: 3243 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Or this

posted Hide Post
I love the large subway tile - thanks, sms!

Thank you for the suggestion for posting this in the decorating forum, Jean - i'll give it a try and will take pictures to the tile stores as well.

Here's something that maybe could work - thoughts?

Again, it is black/grey... so not sure.

Thanks, everyone!

Picture of My dog
posted Hide Post
Personally, I think the white subway tile is too cold and stark looking. With Granite countertops I think you need to go with something warmer. Maybe a different white or even the black, white gray that is in both the pictures is better imo.

~Jean~ in garden zone 6b

posted Hide Post
Sounds good, will stick to those tones, thanks!

posted Hide Post
I personally love the look of classic, white subway tile with an accent row or two of glass tile. That way, the accent row can be changed out, if tastes/styles change in the future. It would provide some nice contrast with your granite and cherry and possibly work well with your floor. In addition, it's budget-friendly.

Beautiful kitchen and terrific choices, so far. I'm sure anything you select will be terrific! Would love to see the photos when you complete it.

Good Luck!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SurfNow,

Posts: 414 | Registered: Aug 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, tsr-res - I will definitely take your suggestion into consideration. I will post pictures when the project is done!

posted Hide Post
That looks great...this is what I did in my house

carrera marble backsplash

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Could the previous poster find a way to remove his post? We can't see whatever it is you are attempting to advertise anyway.

Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
One of the best looks for a back splash with a granite counter is matching granite. You can do slab, or matching granite tiles. Sometimes introducing another tile, with another pattern ends up looking very busy and disjointed.

Posts: 7079 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of luvmyhouse
posted Hide Post
Personally, I go to the garden web for kitchen ideas. Those people are truly concentrating only on kitchens, take a look:
http://ths.gardenweb.com//forums/kitchbath/

Posts: 2925 | Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma | Registered: Dec 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
bump

Posts: 4454 | Location: Texas | Registered: Mar 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post