Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Kitchens & Baths
Hop To Forums   HGTV KitchenDesign
  Stainless Steel versus Granite Undermount SinK?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stainless Steel versus Granite Undermount SinK? Sign In/Join 
posted
A representative from "Granite Transformations"
visited our home and gave us an estimate.

She was lightly pushing her granite sink over the stainless steel sink. She said that she did not make more money using one over the other.

I've had a porcelain kitchen sink in an ivory color that I've grown to hate. At thirty two plus years of age it is a pain in the head back and bones to keep clean. My mother told me many years ago that I would not like it. Boy was she ever right.

I am favoring a stainless steel sink if I do decide to purchase the Granite Transformations product for my counter tops.

Does anyone have experience or facts about the two types of sinks. I'm tired of using bleach to clean a porcelain sink. I do cook. The pots and pans will be washed and scraped across the sink bottom and sides a lot. Thanks

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Leafly,

Posts: 755 | Registered: Sep 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
A great quality stainless steel sink would always be my preference. Having had both stainless and porcelain, no comparison in care issues. Commercial kitchens always use stainless, probably for good reason.

Posts: 9428 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i always prefer the stainless steel sink which is large enough without getting water all over. Easy to clean.

Posts: 15 | Registered: Jan 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I much prefer my stainless undermount sink to my old drop-in porcelain sink, but I have to say that I find that I get myself wet much more than I did before. I guess that lip had some advantages.

Posts: 3233 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To All:

Thank you.

Picture of gardenqueen
posted Hide Post
We had a home built last year I had an undermount granite sink installed. I really love it. It's easy to keep clean and doesn't get water spots the way our stainless steel sinks used to. I've never done business with Granite Transformations so I can't speak to the quality of their materials. We've had undermount sinks in our last two homes and it's the only way to go IMO.

Posts: 98 | Location: United States | Registered: Mar 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Gardenqueen,

We chose a Granite undermount sink. Thanks for the information. We did not choose Granite Transformations. They were very pricy. We chose Granite instead, a level one granite. I found one without a lot of veins (whatever those patterns are called).

We had to get a new island. Long story on the island. The drawers will be heaven in the way that they glide.

Still waiting for installation.

Thank you again for your information

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Leafly,

posted Hide Post
I have come to the party too late to give you any input but I am so glad you decided against Granite Transformations. They are indeed expensive, and all you are getting is a 1/4" composition quartz (not real granite) over the top of existing counters.

Posts: 487 | Registered: Mar 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Susan

posted Hide Post
Stainless Steel is best option it is inexpensive and very easy to clean and maintain.

Posts: 3 | Location: 3898 Via Poinciana, Lake Worth, FL 33467 | Registered: Oct 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hammerhugger
posted Hide Post
You have to make sure you get good quality stainless steel. I had a cheap on in one house that I lived in and swore I never would have another. But my son, who is a plumber said it is because it was such poor quality. I had a porcelain in the last house and liked it ok but it was just me living alone and I did have to bleach it on occasion. I now have a stainless steel again and it is better quality.

My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds.
--Mel Weldon

Posts: 5561 | Location: Arizona, in the valley | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post