Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Kitchens & Baths
Hop To Forums   HGTV KitchenDesign
  Kitchen update help, please
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kitchen update help, please Sign In/Join 
posted
Hello... I am planning a little updating in my kitchen, but I am stumped on colors. I have oak cabinets (slightly on the orangy side), and my table and china cabinet are also the same color. I have the budget to paint the walls, get a new counter (probably quartz), new backsplash, new sink and curtains. The floor is a neutral color and my appliances are white. My husband will not agree to painting the wood (it's a guy thing). The color of the cabinets, table and china cabinet are overwhelming (not in a good way), so help is appreciated!

Posts: 1 | Registered: Nov 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Slightly orange means different things to different people. I guess you could call mine the same thing but I do not see it that way. You can paint any color you like.

I just painted mine yellow just because I like a yellow kitchen. Previous owner had it burgundy which looked fine but it was too dark for me. I also considered a teal and a sage, all of which would have looked fine.

Just get some samples of the colors you like and try out a small area. I usually get a dozen sample cards and tape them together to get a better idea and thumbtack them to different areas. I am just too cheap to buy sample paint. I have 4 samples tacked to my living room wall now. I have also hung material on the wall and then had it color matched.

Posts: 6768 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Getting samples is the best way to go. When you get down to the last couple of colors that you want to consider you might even try getting a small sample and painting a large piece of poster board. Move it around the room and see what it looks like at different times of the day, etc. There are so many neat ideas out there for new backsplashes.

I have cherry cabinets that have yellow in them which I like. When we had tile put down last year we had a very hard time finding light tile without much gray in it. Many of the tiles had cool tones that completely fight the warmth of the cabinets and my island granite. I spent a lot of time with various tile samples which looked completely different in my kitchen and at various times of the day.

Good luck and have fun, there's so much out there to consider, don't let it overwhelm you.

Posts: 3052 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Might look at a nice soft gray/green? Pale moss/sage?
Orange and green are complimentary colors, and if it is soft and neutral enough, it may dampen the orange a bit, without fighting for attention.

Posts: 9460 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi,

I have the same problem with Susieincal. My cabinet is oak with heavy grain...really outdated. The cabinet itself is still in good condition since the house was built in 1999. I need to do kitchen makeover but don't have the budget to replace cabinet. Can I paint oak orangy cabinet into white? Anybody know how much the price range is in Ohio area?

Posts: 17 | Registered: Aug 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi,

One more thing, right now I can replace the countertop, creating backsplash, replace faucet, and replace/install the undermounted sink. Can I do all these works and maybe years down the road replace the cabinets without damaging the above works?

Thank you for your suggestions in advance!

Picture of Rubbishlove
posted Hide Post
I don't know if this would work, but I would paint your cabinets you can mix your chalk paint and make beautiful thick coat for them. I am all about the distressed cottage look, but I know it is not for everyoneSmile
What look are you going for?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: HGTVAdmin,

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jan 07, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As your welcome to the boards, consider yourself REPORTED! Advertising is against board rules, go find somewhere else!

Posts: 1927 | Location: Northern New Jersey | Registered: Mar 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My hubby did not want the oak cabinets painted in the home we purchased. I was sick of oak. He finally agreed and now he is so pleased with the new look. I love the difference! Will try to post photos, but I'm not good at doing so.

Posts: 63 | Registered: Feb 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not sure what happened to the other photos. Will try again!

posted Hide Post
Trying to post one of the unpainted cabinets!

posted Hide Post
Grace121, your kitchen looks amazing!! Can't believe it's the same kitchen.

Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
Nice work.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 6870 | Location: Cary, North Carolina | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post