Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Kitchens & Baths
Hop To Forums   HGTV KitchenDesign
  New refrigerator - ok to mix appliance finishes?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New refrigerator - ok to mix appliance finishes? Sign In/Join 
posted
I need a new refrigerator and would like to get one in a stainless steel finish. My other appliances are white and I am not ready to replace them yet. Do you think it's ok to mix the finishes? As the other appliances need to be replaced, I will get them in stainless as well, but it may not be for a while. What do you think?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: luv2bake,

Posts: 45 | Registered: Apr 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I say go for it....

Posts: 57 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: Aug 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree. My first stainless purchase was my stove. Now all my appliances and sink are stainless. It is almost time for a new stove and if I could afford it (and if it came with a self cleaning oven), I'd buy a cobalt blue AGA stove even though my range hood is stainless.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sms29s66,

Posts: 3234 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks to both of you. That's the way I'm leaning but always second guess myself.

Picture of frappe
posted Hide Post
I am in agreement. My fridge is stainless and the stove and dishwasher are not. When they need replaced, then I will go the stainless route. My fridge is not near the other two appliances.

Posts: 1881 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does someone come and beat you with a wet noodle if your appliances don't match?

On the other hand, do you get fined if you throw away perfectly good appliances?

Do what you want.

Posts: 6720 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just one word of warning...I am pretty sure they install a chip in brand new appliances that make the others go bad Wink
We just got new ss kitchen appliances and right after that, on my very first load of laundry the washer started to make horrible sounds. Go figure.

Posts: 658 | Registered: Feb 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone, seems everyone is in agreement to go ahead and start making the change and not worry about everything matching.

posted Hide Post
Just a last thought....if you wanted to, just as a temporary 'fix' until you can get the new appliances that will match, why not use one of thise kits that you apply that changes your appliances to a stainless finish?

Posts: 57 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: Aug 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
sometimes you can order new panel for dishwashers but ranges I don't think so .With the holidays coming up there are great deals out there .Remember the price you pay for a more energy efficient appliance may be worth it .I bought new stainless steel and could not believe the energy savings and the new LED lights are great .Appliance packages like I got at home depot save you also .Plus best thing was I paid only 99 dollars for each appliance extra for the 4 year service contract .Also have the 1 year from the manufacturer and got a rebate of 30 dollars and up for each one from my electric supplier.So it pays back in the long run .Turns out my sealed compressor refrigerator 2 door cost me for 26 cubic feet only 999. after all the extras i got back . I got the double oven range and after all the money back I paid 897 and dishwasher was 399 after rebates .The fridge was 1599 before range was 1499 and dishwasher was 599 before .Appliance package gave me money back and so did rebate from GE and my energy star rebates .

Posts: 531 | Registered: Jul 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
As of right now the only thing SS is my D/W and my sink and Faucet. The part of the kitchen that has not been been renovated still has the biscuit appliances. Soon they will all be SS!

Whether You Think You Can Or You Think You Can't..... You're Right - Henry Ford

Posts: 7276 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This thread makes me feel better. I live in an old apartment and all of our appliances have been a mismash of looks due to affordability. Now that we're doing ok and in a new place we're sort of making a "look" for ourselves. Our microwave is black and SS and our new coffee pot is black and SS/chrome. Our fridge however is white and the provided stove and dish washer in our apartment is white. The stove and washer wont be changing since its not ours and the fridge is still going alright. I just wondered the same thing that the original poster did with thinking I couldnt make my space look cohesive if they all didnt match.

Good to know that the Kitchen Design police wont come crash down on my first attempt at interior design Wink Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Rachael B.,

Posts: 20 | Registered: Nov 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
As luck would have it...My 20 year old "biscuit" colored refrigerator just needed replacing...wooohooo!

Now I have S/S and 4 more cubic feet. They just delivered it today. Only one more appliance to go!

Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: zone9alady,

Whether You Think You Can Or You Think You Can't..... You're Right - Henry Ford

Posts: 7276 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
bump

Posts: 4454 | Location: Texas | Registered: Mar 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post