Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RESTORATION HELP Sign In/Join 
posted
So my basement flooded. UGH. The basement was great. It had a full kitchen, full bath, a kids play area, and an entertainment area, and of course utilities and storage spaces. Now it is all ruined.

I can't get any contractors in my area to call me back as many homes have suffered the same fate around me. With infant twins and two working adults, I feel overwhelmed and don't see my spacious basement ever getting back to its wonderful usefulness. Even if i somehow found the time to turn this around fast, I am not even sure what to do, what to demo, what to keep, how to prevent mold.

I need help. Any thoughts and/or suggestions?

Posts: 3 | Registered: May 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
I went down to Mississippi after Katrina to do some repair work with a church group. Here is what I'd recommend.

1. Remove any carpeting that got wet.
2. Tear out all the drywall that got wet. If the bottom 2 or 3 feet got wet tear it out to the 4' level where the drywall is seamed.
3. Remove the kitchen cabinets, especially if they are particle board boxes. They're toast.
4. Remove the wet insulation.
5. Spray the framing with a strong bleach solution. Use a pump garden sprayer, mix 1 or 2 cups of bleach in hot water and spray this on the framing.
6. Get a dehumidifier and run it constantly.

With this done the basement will be in a stable state and shouldn't cause any mold issues in the house, until you can get a contractor to come in and do the repairs.

Shut off any power to outlets and lights that was under water.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sparky,

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

I am not an employee of HGTV, nor is anyone else that posts here.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 6981 | Location: Cary, North Carolina | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks Sparky. Any help is appreciated.

posted Hide Post
Will lysol work instead of bleach?

Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
We used bleach, I'm not sure if Lysol will do the trick or not. You could always try it. Bleach and Lysol don't react to one another like Bleach and Ammonia.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

I am not an employee of HGTV, nor is anyone else that posts here.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 6981 | Location: Cary, North Carolina | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post