Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Remodeling
Hop To Forums   General Remodeling
  kitchen sink cabinet size
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

kitchen sink cabinet size Sign In/Join 
posted
I have a kitchen sink that is 41 5/8 inches wide and I am putting it in the corner. What size cabinet would I need. The sink will be an under mount. Apparently I can't move forward till I get the correct size. I am also thinking I might have to get this custom build. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Crazy Woman,

Posts: 4 | Location: Arizona | Registered: Apr 28, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is a large sink for putting on the diagonal. Without doing all the math to be exact, you will have something like 2 feet of wasted space behind the sink. Not only would it be wasted space, how would you ever reach it to clean?

Take a corner of any room and make the angles on the floor or with cardboard boxes. Don't forget to allow for sink depth.

Posts: 7282 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Its hard for me to even visualize a sink that wide! Standard size is 22" deep and 33" wide, and even in plastic, that is heavy. A sink that wide would need a lot of reinforcing structure underneath, which adds to the weight and to the mounting depth. You will need to build a supporting structure of 2x4s, or more.

On a job years ago the owner had a standard cast iron 22x33 sink mounted under a granite top. The cabinet structure gave away and I had to build a supporting structure of 2x4s under it.

Posts: 12204 | Location: Ft Collins, CO USA | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To answer your question, I suggest you draw it out on paper. You can tape together pieces of newspaper to get a sheet large enough.

Posts: 12204 | Location: Ft Collins, CO USA | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, wait! You must be talking about the two bowl sink that has the third small bowl in the center for a disposal. As implied above, won't you will have difficulty reaching the faucet? Those sinks were usually not mounted in a corner in my experience.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bob Fleming,