Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Remodeling
Hop To Forums   General Remodeling
  Can laminate flooring be glued to a concrete basement floor?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can laminate flooring be glued to a concrete basement floor? Sign In/Join 
posted
We want to put laminate just at the bottom of the basement stairs - about a 50" x 50" area. Can this be glued down? We plan to carpet the rest surrounding it - and would prefer not to use the matching transition strips. If we glue, we could butt the carpet next to this laminate landing. Any ideas? Thank you.

Posts: 346 | Location: Michigan | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As far as I know the answer is NO. I think all laminate is a floating floor but I could be wrong. Look,at the mfg. web site for the floor you are considering. They will give directions there.

Posts: 6719 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most laminate flooring needs allowances for expansion due to climates. And basements tend to have the most variances in climates. If you are looking to do something solid with glue, I would recommend an engineered flooring that has a glue down option. You don't have a large area to do, so cost shouldn't really be an issue, as you will only be in need of 1 box, maybe 2 depending on the brand and quantity packaged. Make sure you use the recommended glue to avoid any issues in the future. The glue may be the most expensive part here.

Christopher R. Johnson
Journeyman Carpenter &
Home Remodeling Expert
www.CreativeTouchCarpentry.com

Posts: 30 | Location: Westmont, Il | Registered: May 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post