Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Remodeling
Hop To Forums   General Remodeling
  Which kind of windows to use?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which kind of windows to use? Sign In/Join 
posted
Our house was built in 1979 and is an English tudor style. We have the original windows still and are planing to change them to a much more energy efficient window. We live in Los Angeles and our house has a lot of windows. So in the summer we are boiling hot or in the winter freezing. We started looking into different kinds of retrofit windows and discovered problems with almost each one when researching online. We are worried that the vinyl windows will start to bow or have other problems down the road. The full aluminum double pane windows I read aren't very energy efficient. I then read about the aluminum clad - that have wood inside covered with aluminum could start to rot and have problems. The fiberglass I read smells and releases toxic voc's. We want no maintenance windows that are energy efficient. Which is best? ALSO, We wanted to keep the tudor look for the windows, but didn't want the grid pattern for the family room....but I'm not sure what to use. Grid or no grid? Love to get some suggestions. we are keeping the grid pattern for the front of house. Is it best for he windows to be uniform throughout house or is it ok to have no grids in fam room but grids in front and sides of house? Thanks! Here is a photo of family room with the old windows now.

Posts: 95 | Registered: Feb 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
In a mild climate like LA I can't imagine that you'll get a return on your window investment if the windows are sound. A UV film to cut down on some of the heat gain might be useful. Contrary to what the sellers of replacement windows will tell you they rarely pay for themselves and especially won't in a mild climate.

I've had homes with Anderson Vinyl clad wood windows I never had rot problems with them. My sister had aluminum clad Pella windows in her house and never had rot problems with those. My current house has wood windows, and I have had rot problems with those. Your mileage may vary.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 6943 | Location: Cary, North Carolina | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Use of Energy Efficient Windows is growing these days Los Angeles environment. Windows are increasingly being replaced by energy efficient windows as they are technologically advanced and help homeowners in minimizing the usage of heating and air conditioning equipment. Not only this, these windows are very economical in terms of maintenance and have a long life span.

Posts: 3 | Location: Orange County | Registered: Aug 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post