Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tiling Sign In/Join 
posted
I want to tile over tile

Question:
Can you tile over tile

Choices:
Can you tile over ceramic tile
How difficult is it

Posts: 3 | Registered: Aug 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
As a new poster, are you really trying to get help/advice on a new project?
A poll is not the way to accomplish this. Give more detailed information on what problem you are attempting to solve and you can get some friendly advice from experienced folks.

If you are setting up for advertising a product or business...please do not waste our time or yours. It is against the site rules.

Posts: 9437 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was my first time to post anything. I'm searching for advice. I want to tile my kitchen but do not have the budget to hire someone and wanted to know if anyone had ever tried to tile over ceramic tile. They are not broken or loose. I just don't like the color. The subfloor under the tile is concrete. Any advice
Would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

posted Hide Post
I think what threw everybody off was your name being similar to a tile product called Ditra. Sorry. To answer your question I don't believe it is possible. One being that there is not a suitable surface for the thinset to adhere to. Second being that it is uneven with the grout joints. Tile needs to have a completely flat surface. The combination of the two IMO would lead to a mistake. Just my $.02 worth.

Posts: 725 | Location: Applachain | Registered: Feb 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
I think that redoverfarm has the same answer most of us would give.
Just asking for trouble to even attempt to lay tile over tile. Plus to add to the issues mentioned, you have a whole lot more added weight to create any give/crack in the sub floor. (not such a big deal with concrete, but the tile level would be higher at any doorways too.)

Bite the bullet and get it all up. Once you start demo it will be a tear out mess, but worth it to get down to a base that will support and allow the tile to stick and lay right.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: conrad,

Posts: 9437 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I think I have solved my inability to post here! It was caused by the Google Toolbar. We will see what happens the next few days.

As to tiling over tile, it can be done. Latex modified thinset will stick to almost anything, including hands, tools, and clothes. The problems with doing this: If the underlying tile comes loose in the future, you have a mess that cannot be corrected. Next, it will add about 1/2" to the height of the floor. That can be a problem with doors, and you will still have to remove/replace the toilet.

In short, it can be done but I don't recommend it.

Posts: 12155 | Location: Ft Collins, CO USA | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks to you all for your responses. I kinda was hoping someone would say yes I did it and it works. Oh well. Has anyone done a tile tear out themselves and how hard was it. Thanks

posted Hide Post
Re-read your question and noted that your tile is on concrete. It isn't all that hard to strip ceramic tile off concrete for a small area. I would use a razor floor scraper. Read the tile topic on my website at www.bobf.info to get some ideas.

Posts: 12155 | Location: Ft Collins, CO USA | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post