Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Door not aligned Sign In/Join 
posted
I had a basement room remodeled and the door isn't plum. Hopefully I can describe the issue. When the door is closed I can see the gap at the top starts to diminish as you look down towards the floor. The contractor came over (while I was gone) and placed a screw in the door frame on the bottom where the hinges are. I assume he did this to pull the fram in and resolve the problem. It worked for almost a year and now it's rubbing again. What can I do besides taking the door off along with the trim and plumb the frame? An pointers? Thank yo in advance.

Posts: 263 | Location: Council Bluffs, IA USA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unfortuneately that will only work for minor adjustment. To remedy the problem the door frame needs to be plumb which should be the same reveal on the horizontal and verticle gaps. There is a possibility that he drew the frame in but the screw might have worked out. Even if retightened it will eventually work loose again. I would remove the trim, square the frame and be done with the problem.

Posts: 728 | Location: Applachain | Registered: Feb 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One side of the door leads to an unfinished area of the basement. There is not trim on that side. Could I just remove some nails and reshim one side to resolve the issue? Removing the entire door may lead to some unwanted damage.

Posts: 263 | Location: Council Bluffs, IA USA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
You can possibly align it this way. Is this a split jamb door? Where the trim is pre-attached on both sides of the jamb, and the jamb itself is split at the doorstop? I've had success in driving the trim nails through the trim with a nail set and then readjusting the door, this works especially well when the framing has settled and the door rubs at the top.

If you want you could attach several pictures for us to take a look at and suggest solutions.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 6942 | Location: Cary, North Carolina | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post