Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Addition Sign In/Join 
posted
We (my husband & I) have gone from a family of 5 to a family of 13 in the last 3 1/2 years. (spouses and grandchildren) I currently do not have a dinning room, but I would like to add one to the back of my house, off of the kitchen. I do not need more bedrooms, just a place to sit at a table when they are all here. How can I talk my husband into agreeing that the addition not only is necessary, but will add value to our home? I will have enough money saved up for about 1/2 of the cost. My husband does not want to take out a loan for any of it. We have a nice rambler home, but the fact that there is only an eating area on one side of the kitchen and no room to expand a table, makes it difficult to have a nice dinner around the table with the whole family.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Dec 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My DS and DIL have a small house and when they have her family over for Thanksgiving or other holiday dinners, they put a big table up in the finished (rec room) basement. Works great for them. Could you do something like that? An added on dining room sounds great also, but you need to ask yourself how often you will use it.

love life

Posts: 1543 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know your husband so I have no idea on how you might approach him on this but...

As a possible solution to you problem; have you considered doing something like adding a sunroom off of the existing kitchen dining area? If you add a sunroom and open the wall off of your existing dining area, you can use the sunroom as a daily sitting area and then expand the dining table into that area (with some minimal furniture shuffling) when needed.

The thought here would be that the sunroom would have other uses on the days when there isn't a crowd. Being that it would be right off of your kitchen it might make a nice breakfast nook/sitting area.

Posts: 46 | Location: United States | Registered: Apr 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
I too think Jim978 has a great suggestion.
The versatility of a three season room (or 4 season, depending on your climate) could be a great answer. Probably even better on resale value (based on a lower building cost) down the road also, compared to a dedicated dining room space.

Posts: 9655 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post