Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Remodeling
Hop To Forums   General Remodeling
  Prepping wood stairs for painting
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Prepping wood stairs for painting Sign In/Join 
posted
I'm going to use a heat gun to remove the linoleum adhesive from our basement wood stairs. Once that is removed, I'm thinking the surface isn't going to be smooth? Should we be prepared to sand them or what else may we have to do before painting? I want to use something like Sharkgrip slip resistant additive in our paint so they won't be slippery. TIA

Posts: 566 | Registered: Jan 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
A chemical adhesive remover may be an option too. Only problem is they are often flamable, and require good ventilation.

If you don't have one, you might consider a small belt sander? I bought a size smaller than a regular contractor's (maybe 9 inch?) when I painted the kitchen cabinets. It was a really great investment, and have used it many times on many projects. It might be a perfect size to use on your wooden stairs.
A pro paint store is always a great resource for your questions too. (I have bought Sharkgrip from Sherwin Williams), so maybe you have already talked to them.

Posts: 9662 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've tried soaking the areas with a rag of boiling water then scraping with a putty knife. So far so good (fingers crossed it stays this simple) I do still have traces of adhesive that a chemical remover might really help with. Things never seem easy when I do something so, I'm kinda wondering what's up right now, lol.

Posts: 566 | Registered: Jan 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just completed my basement stairs. They were really in bad shape. But rather than try to prep the stairs I covered them at a reasonable price. I used stair treads and purchased them from --kofflersale.com- and for the risers I bought inexpensive laminate flooring (Sales and odd lots from lumber liquidators) . Only a few pieces are needed per riser. All get glued using 2 tubes of liquid nails. The only thing I prepped was the sides of the stairs with a small power sander and then painted.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Sep 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post