Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Remodeling
Hop To Forums   General Remodeling
  Wood/Tile or both?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wood/Tile or both? Sign In/Join 
posted
We need to replace about 1000 squre feet of flooring on our lower level. The flooring starts at the entry...goes into a bathroom...into the kitchen breakfast room then into the family room. We were considering wood flooring but it is a huge expense and it would include putting wood floors into the kitchen.

our home value is topped out so nothing we do will really add any value to it we are doing this for personal preference.

would you put wood on the entire area or break up the kitchen with tile? that would leave the family room floating off on its own with wood floor in there.

I am not really sure what the style is right now or if having wood in a kitchen is really a good idea.

we have 3 high school aged kids and the floors take a lot of wear.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jul 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It would come down to a preference that you choose. I would definitely use tile (similar) in the bathroom. The entryway is another place that tile is laid because of the dirt tracked in. Nothing wrong with hardwood in the kitchen. Most of it will take a good bit of abuse. It is a little more forgiving when dropping dishes on the floor. Like I said it comes down to your preference.

Posts: 727 | Location: Applachain | Registered: Feb 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would no choose doing wood flooring all over the house and break with tiles going in kitchen, bathroom and dining area. Because in these places tiles are the best secured type of flooring and will not get ruined. Think over it.

Posts: 1 | Location: 77-655 Sea View Cir, Kailua Kona, HI 96740 | Registered: Aug 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Annett
posted Hide Post
High schoolers can be really hard on a house --- the herd of friends, the sports gear, the fashion (heels!), the forgotten spills, the learning-to-cook, and so on. Frankly, if I were in your place, I'd do something inexpensive like cheap carpet and peel-and-stick tiles. Then, re-do it all when the kids are a little older and easier on your floors.

Let us know what you decide. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Annett,

Posts: 1432 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Nov 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Flooring all around except in kitchen and bathroom as I feel wood flooring as one of the lifetime material when installed and maintained properly. Wood flooring are most compatible with radiant heat flooring systems while tile may be cool in summer but remain the same in winter too.

Posts: 3 | Location: Orange County | Registered: Aug 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Joe Romero, I disagree that wood flooring is compatible with under floor radiant heat. (If that was your meaning in the above statement)

Wood does not transfer heat very well, (makes a better insulator) and it will dry out and crack if used in a dry climate, due to the constant heating from below.

Posts: 9600 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post