Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Remodeling
Hop To Forums   General Remodeling
  Unordinary Back Splash idea needing opinions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Unordinary Back Splash idea needing opinions Sign In/Join 
posted
I have put up my wainscoat back splash, my question is this, based on the pic of my kitchen peninsula, do I continue the backsplash to the end of the peninsula? keeping in mind that if so, it would end partially under my wall pantry which does not have a lower cabinet. Would that look weird? Or should I stop the back splash where it is currently under the regular kitchen cabinet? I need opinions please, thank you in advance.

Question:
I have put up my wainscoat back splash, my question is this, based on the pic of my kitchen peninsula, do I continue the backsplash to the end of the peninsula? keeping in mind that if so, it would end partially under my wall pantry which does not have a lower cabinet. Would that look weird? Or should I stop the back splash where it is currently under the regular kitchen cabinet? I need opinions please, thank you in advance.

Choices:
stop where it is
continue to end of peninsula

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RobinHonake,

Posts: 3 | Location: Texas | Registered: Jan 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
How about a third option? Since the pantry shelving goes to the perpendicular wall why not take the wainscotting to the end of the open shelves and down to the floor?

If you don't opt for that, I think I'd leave it as is. I'm not a designer, and don't play one on TV.

Posts: 6978 | Location: Cary, North Carolina | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
I pretty much agree with Sparky.
However that dark stain on the wainscoat wood is going to soak up a lot of reflected light. I'd make sure you have enough task lighting in the kitchen area to compensate.

Posts: 9663 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thats a great suggestion... I will consider it, thank you

Posts: 3 | Location: Texas | Registered: Jan 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
If you don't already have it add some under cabinet lighting between the sink and the pantry. Go for LED lights, the bulbs last forever and it uses very little power.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 6978 | Location: Cary, North Carolina | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Sparky. I am considering LED lighting. I recently watched a DIY episode where the host used LED tape lighting. I am itching to try it!!

Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
LED's are the BEST!
The prices on the bulbs are gradually coming down, and we have been changing out many of our light fixture bulbs with LED bulbs. Amazing amount of light for the small amount of energy used, and luckily they are easily dimmed with a standard dimming switch!

Posts: 9663 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Annett
posted Hide Post
Since a backsplash is meant to protect the wall from food preparation and a bar isn't really used that way, I'd end it where you have in the photo.
Nice kitchen!

Posts: 1433 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Nov 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post