Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Remodeling
Hop To Forums   General Remodeling
  Cold floors on second story
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cold floors on second story Sign In/Join 
posted
Hi -

We used to have a 1.5 story bungalow (first floor plus dormered second floor). A few years back, we tore off the dormers and added a full second story. Now, the floors in the new space are pretty darn cold in the winter. When the new space was added, the new joists were placed on top of the existing floors and exterior walls. Imagine if you cut a hole in the new floor and looked through - you would see the old hardwood floors.

I assume that the floors are cold because they are now over what is, essentially, an unheated space. Would pulling up the subfloor and insulating the joist cavities help this situation? I've read varying opinions on this, but it seems like that would be the solution. Assuming I do insulate, should a vapor barrier be used? If so, would it go between the cold space and the insulation, or between the insulation and the plywood subfloor?

Thanks for any advise/opinions/information.

Mark

Posts: 1 | Registered: Mar 28, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd look for areas that have no insulation between the new floor and any outside space. Did any of the new area get cantilevered out past the original first floor walls?

Posts: 748 | Registered: Jan 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hardwood floors are cold to walk on, period. That's why folks use rugs! Smile Also, I would look at the heating system as well if the air temperature is not satisfactory. Many 2 story homes heat and cool better with 2 heating/cooling units instead of 1. My experience is that 2 systems are generally needed with square footage of around 1500 or more. Also, smaller 2 story homes usually benefit from opening and closing of vents upstairs or downstairs depending upon the season to help push the heat or AC to the desired area. You may need to close the downstairs vents to try and push more heat or AC upstairs.

Posts: 2060 | Location: KY | Registered: Feb 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post