Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Remodeling
Hop To Forums   General Remodeling
  Cost range to replace door with window
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cost range to replace door with window Sign In/Join 
Picture of Flutterby
posted
Yes, I know, most people are looking to replace windows with doors, but in this case...we have an awkward size and small shaped family room. In one corner, there is a single french door leading to the yard (which we do not use. We use the double french doors in kitchen to access yard). We'd like to capture the space to make the room feel larger and give us more options for furniture placement by replacing the single door with a window. Was hoping an expert out there could give me an idea of cost range so that I know what's in the ballpark when seeking bids with contractors. Thanks so much!

Posts: 62 | Location: California | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great idea...doors take up an din your case waste a lot of space..you can put anything in front of them and you need to allow for the door swing and they frequently dont seal well so are drafty. Cost wise it is tough to estimate because most of the cost is labor and the labor varies a lot. I would suggest finding a handy man or a company that does replacement windows - the replacement window companies are pretty competitive price wise and may have the interest in filling in a bigger hole then they usually do inside and out. Cost wise - lowest would be $750 but more likely $1.5 to $2k..again it just depends on who you hire

Posts: 1 | Registered: Mar 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post