Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hardwood Floors Sign In/Join 
posted
Just wanted to give out a link if you're in the market for hardwood floors. The site is WeShipFloors.com and they have some great prices on a variety of hardwoods and they have free samples of all their hardwoods.

WeShipFloors.com

Posts: 1 | Registered: Oct 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ben apparently you failed to read the guidelines on posting. No Advertising.

Posts: 733 | Location: Applachain | Registered: Feb 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What do you have to put down on concrete before you can install wood flooring. I have carpet now and would like to try and do it myself.

thx

Posts: 1 | Registered: Oct 15, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Regular hardwood flooring needs a vapor barrier as well as a wood substrait for nailing it down. As an alternative the laminate is a better alternative as it does not require the product to be nailed. Regular hardwood ( 3/4") will not work in the same manner. It will buckle and come apart if it is not nailed.

Posts: 733 | Location: Applachain | Registered: Feb 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
Typically with a concrete slab, above grade, your choices are a floating floor or a glued down floor. You can do a hardwood floor but it will be a prefinished wood laminate floor with a plywood base to the hardwood top. This isn't Pergo type plastic laminate over a mdf base. Though that can be used over a slab as well. Floating floors typically have a padded vapor barrier you roll out before click-locking the floor on top.

Regular solid 1x tongue and groove hardwood floors aren't used on slabs. You

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

I am not an employee of HGTV, nor is anyone else that posts here.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 6993 | Location: Cary, North Carolina | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post