Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Remodeling
Hop To Forums   General Remodeling
  What a waste. Recycle or Repurpose Instead of Trashing
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What a waste. Recycle or Repurpose Instead of Trashing Sign In/Join 
posted
I'm so sick of these spoiled adults that think they are entitled to have it all w/ little or no effort. Every time i see people taking a sledge hammer to perfectly good kitchen and bathroom cabinets, i die a little inside.

Is this what we're about now?....destroying or throwing away things that the average person would love to own, all to save time...well, it makes me sick. Would it kill people to spend an extra day or two to carefully remove cabinets and give them away to people who would appreciate them?

And I'm very troubled by people looking at a "fixer" house and the negative comments over some of the interiors. They should be more respectful. This was somebody's home. And as far as i can see, most of the renovated homes were actually nice to begin with....just not up to the new homeowner's snobbish standards.

I wish HGTV would stop encouraging this sad behavior and entitlement attitude. while i love to see what can be done w/ a space to make it more functional, at the end of the show i feel bad and soiled instead of renewed and creative.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Dec 14, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
don't watch it so i don't know,,, however, we do often see new n-hood owners remodeling prior to occupancy,,, will have to ck their attitudes ;-) certainly recycling/repurposing is better'n trashing,,, far's attitudes, isn't that just another form of reality/shock tv more reflective on society as a whole ?

i remember zell miller's reply when asked why he was still in the dem party if it were so anti-american in his view,,, ' its like an old house - i know where all the creaks are ' :-)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: itsreallyconc,

if you hear it from an apron/vest store guy, be VERY skeptical

Posts: 265 | Location: atlanta | Registered: Jul 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
HGTV could do a show showing people who are remodeling but are recycling what they take out. I think that is a show I could get on board with.

Posts: 304 | Registered: Jun 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mriley
posted Hide Post
I agree with the comments posted. I hate to see good things destroyed. They need to think..."Crashed - Not Trashed".

Posts: 1506 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Aug 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our kitchen cupboards are built in place. If we were to remodel we would have to remove the doors and take a "sledge hammer" to the rest of the cupboards.....no recycling of those. Even taking the screws/nails out....the cupboards would fall apart. From the looks of some of the HGTV kitchens it looks like their cupboards are the same. Now in the newer kitchens the cupboards are built elsewhere and brought into the kitchen and hung. That is a different story. I do not like waste either.

love life

Posts: 1571 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Annett
posted Hide Post
I went to an open house the other day and the moment I stepped inside, the realtor started apologizing for the fact that the house had oak cabinets and that the floor plan wasn't "open concept." And then he went on to tell me how easily I could begin to rip out this and that. Now, I should point out that the house was 30 years old, built by a reputable builder and had been well-loved by the previous owners. I really saw nothing that I felt needed to be urgently changed.

I wonder why it's suddenly become so fashionable to gut houses?

Posts: 1433 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Nov 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tools

I agree. Just watched a rehab show where they even took a sledgehammer to a perfectly fine microwave. Someone could use it if they'd donate it. Much of what they destroy could be donated & kept out of the landfill.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jan 20, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Recently viewed a recovery show where they even took a heavy hammer to a superbly fine microwave. Somebody could utilize it when they'd give it away. Even I agree

Posts: 4 | Location: 675 The Arches Cir, Lion Park | Registered: Jan 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just bought the 'cheapest" house in the neighborhood- Cape Cod in Cape Cod/ 30 yers old- everything original- green bath, mustard bath, pine cabinets- part of the reason I bought it- craftmanship- real tile in baths, well built in general , except chimney- another story, another time- Gary and I laugh about the neighbors are probably wondering when we are going to add on, tear down- Surprise, this is it!! One street over is the ocean and they are still building a house that was started last April. Long story short- new owners buoght house for $2.5 million and TORE DOWN!! rebuilding as we speak

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sandlance,

Posts: 503 | Location: Cape Cod  | Registered: Oct 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
of course its nice to recycle however many projects are for profit - there's often not time budgeted for it - faster 'n cheaper to use hammers,,, its often akin to a carpenter coming down the ladder to pick up a dropped nail - just senseless !

remember 1 house we did where i let someone in to scavenge for no cost to them,,, when their week was up, nothing had been done - kid's sick, brother-in-law's birthday, wife to movies,,, just shook my head & told my guys to grab up their sledgehammers

This message has been edited. Last edited by: itsreallyconc,

if you hear it from an apron/vest store guy, be VERY skeptical

Posts: 265 | Location: atlanta | Registered: Jul 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post