Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Remodeling
Hop To Forums   General Remodeling
  Please help....I am tired looking for the right toilet!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Please help....I am tired looking for the right toilet! Sign In/Join 
Picture of Froo Froo
posted
I am trying to get a bathroom remodel underway and am met with roadblocks when it comes to toilet brands and features. Just when I thought I found a brand and style that met our criteria, we found drawbacks that give us pause. One such brand was Kohler and it came with a dual flush which I later was told doesn't get the bowl clean. The other highly touted Toto brand proved impractical and risky to change a flush valve or other common malfunctioning part as the tank has to be removed and turned upside down during these replacements. It must be noted that my handy DH is getting arthritis in his hands and could drop the tank risking cracking of the tank and/or tile floor.

These are the features I/we would like...
Comfort height
Powerful flush
Traditional style
Skirted base

BTW, our trusted plumber dislikes Totos for the reason mentioned. Is there anyone here in the know who can direct me to a good brand that meets my must-haves?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Froo Froo,

Posts: 18382 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had the low end Toto in SoCA some years ago and it worked fine. But I installed three high end Totos in an expensive home and all three had some problem during the first year warranty. Plus they were difficult to install. I wouldn't touch a toilet that had to have the tank removed for repairs.

We have a Kohler in a couple baths here and they work fine; the one I use is the best flusher in the house. But it is not a so-called dual flusher. Frankly, I don't understand that name. All toilets manufactured since 1995 have a two step flush cycle. You just press the lever and it gives you a quick flush for liquids. To get a long flush for solids, you have to hold down the lever until it empties the tank.

I would select an elongated bowl with a raised comfort seat. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a Kohler, and some people like the new Gerber models. American Standard has a history of expensive repairs, but I read that the current models are fine.

Posts: 12155 | Location: Ft Collins, CO USA | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
By skirted base do you mean a model that has the base mounting screws covered? You are going to pay extra for that and I don't see the value. You can get simple plastic caps for those screws. That was the reason the owner wanted those three top-of-the-line Totos, and that proved to be a disaster.

Posts: 12155 | Location: Ft Collins, CO USA | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Bob thanks for your input. By skirted bottom I mean completely smooth from front to back w/o the snake grooves or the bolt covers. Simply put, they are much easier to clean and the bolts also aren't prone to rusting. For a self cleaning female, this is a plus. This sought after feature is restricting my options.

FYI, it was a bath supply rep who nixed the Kohler toilet I found as it has a dual flush stating that they don't clean waste very well. Was she misleading me? If so, the Kohler style did have comfort height and "skirted" base.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Froo Froo,

Posts: 18382 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
I also read that American Standard toilets are trouble and that Gerber toilets were favored by our plumber.

Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
I have also found Kohlers to be worthy, in general.

Ask at a store that only sells plumbing/bath fixtures for any issues they may have had with certain models? Or if they can recommend one that seems the most trouble free.

Posts: 9429 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Conrad, that is basically what we did tho it was I who did the research and was told that dual flush toilets do not clean effectively. This comment led me to rethink Kohler and look at a Toto model. If you read above, you'll see what this issue is with Toto toilets. I may rethink the Kohler model with the dual flush feature now before I go totally nuts.

posted Hide Post
FWIW, the Toto toilets with the skirt actually -have a Velcro snap-on cover on each side. I haven't looked for nor seen other brands with a skirt. I always found that a simple wipe with a cloth or paper towel did the trick, and I think my wife does the same. But if you are willing to pay extra for the skirt ....

The toilet mounting bolts should be brass and should not rust. Plus if they are covered, they shouldn't get wet. In times gone by I have run into sneaky manufactures who used plated steel hardware on toilets so I got into the habit of checking all toilet hardware with a magnet before I bought.

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Bob, after 25 years with a non skirted toilet (3in fact), I feel a smooth bottom toilet with concealed bolts (which btw, have rusted and become a mess after years of cleaning), I feel the added expense is well worth it. Trust me, I am neither super wealthy nor a spendthrift. This is one feature I would LOVE.

This is now the toilet I am reconsidering.

Kohler Persuade Circ (K-3753)

posted Hide Post
Froo I suspect that within each line you'll find the good the bad and the ugly.
I have an AS that I chose because it did the 12 ball flush thing... then it came in the comfort height... it is the vintage look which is what I needed for that bath.. I have a Kohler in my bath.. comfort height... the 2 others are AS.. they are what I would label as a mid line... since they were for areas not used a lot ( or so we thought)... gotta tell ya... they have all done fine. I was worried since we are water well people too. But pressure has been fine.
I can see where dual flush sounds scary... but I think the trick is making sure the coating / finish goes further down.

My brother insisted on the skirted Toto...I thought it was the "architect" in him but he said after sitting in the bathroom for so long ( chemo) he just did not want to think about the snake line look ever again...

Be patient you'll find the perfect one for you...

Posts: 4454 | Location: Texas | Registered: Mar 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Froo, I think that sounds like a great option, and really hardly much more expensive...over the life of use.
Found great reviews also in the site below. Might consider this for one of our own replacements.

http://www.plumbersurplus.com/...OemLcCFUWo4AodlCsArQ

Posts: 9429 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Conrad, the Persuade Circ was in fact the one I considered though it's a bit contemporary for my space. What changed my mind was when the bath supply house associate told me that dual flush toilets are hard to keep clean. The more I seek professional advice, the more confused I get. Since we are dealing with well water in spite of a neutralizer/softener, a bowl ring is a constant battle. I realize toilets have come a long way in 25 years and that coatings are bonded to bowls in many cases for ease of cleaning though.

I am still struggling with my toilet choice and it appears to be the last decision for our bathroom remodel yet one of the most important. I am open to more advice/resources, so please keep them coming.

Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Did you ask if there is model (not a dual flush) with the smooth bottom features you want? I would look myself, but no time right now.

If you have been dealing with an older toilet, (that has had lots of scraping with old cleansers, acid cleaners and such), it might be a nice surprise to find a new porcelain one easier to keep clean?
I know our newest Kohler toilet (maybe 13yrs now?) seldom gets a ring, and is easy to clean if it does. The older ones, require more work, and get a ring faster.

We also have hard city water here, but wells can certainly vary.

Picture of Annett
posted Hide Post
I had to choose a toilet recently, and found that Cons. Rep'ts rated several American Standard and Kohler models very highly.

Posts: 1430 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Nov 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Annett, contrary to your findings, my research doesn't rate American Standard very high.

Regarding the Kohler dual flush skirted bottom models, they don't seem to make one without the dual flush in a comfort level.