Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Remodeling
Hop To Forums   General Remodeling
  storm door removal
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

storm door removal Sign In/Join 
posted
I had wind damage to storm door and door bent .I bought a new storm door but old door hinges are one inch hinges and new storm door hinges are half inch .The old frame is caulked or glued in place and i cannot get the frame off .There seems to be a gasket also .It is attached to vinyl J channel and I do not want to damage it .The J channel is the 3 inch wide stuff and i cannot find it any where so far .The house was built in 2004 .How can I loosen this stuff .I tried a hair dryer to warm it up and that did not work .I don't want to use anything hotter and warp the J channel.I tried a caulk softner but it does not seep between . Any ideas I am at a lose now .thank you

Posts: 531 | Registered: Jul 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Wow.
Usually the storm door frames and seals are screwed to the trim, with the screw heads hidden underneath a trim piece that sort of snaps in place. At least all of the Larson and Anderson ones I've had the pleasure of installing did. Suppose someone used construction adhesive instead?? That would be a pain.

One of those Multi tools like below:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/2...gpa=pla#.UXhCBspgBCM
May be a help to get under the storm door trim and cut through any adhesive.

Posts: 9429 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
there is only a half inch space between the storm door and the vinyl J trim .I bought the door at home depot and the hinges on the new door are only half inch wide and the hinges on the old door are 1 inch wide .If I got one of the storm doors at home depot that says it is 1.5 inches wide could i use the the frame and hinges existing .The storm door I bought was the emco and was 154 dollars and I see the ones that say 1.5 inches wide are around 272 dollars .I want a solid door and not an aluminum door only .

Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
You "might", if it is the same manufacturer. Otherwise it may be a big mess to try to retrofit. Not a good way for anyone here to tell you?
There may be a sticker on the hinge edge side of the door (hidden when the door is closed, and nearly so when open) Should give you the name and manufacturer/serial number of the door itself. Check to see if the part would be under warranty?

We have an Anderson one out in CO that the hinges in the J channel sag (from wind springing the door). The actual door was guaranteed for 10 years so I called the 800 number and unfortunately said I was NOT the original owner. Mistake. They would only cover it for original owner, so if this is your case...I would just claim to be the original owner.Wink

Posts: 9429 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The emco door i bought has the hinge bar and there are no holes in the door itself .I am guessing they do this for left or right hinge options .The door is the comfort line door and i am the original owner but it was damage by wind when it blew open and frame bent and glass broke out in the last storm we had .The hinges on the door That is on the house has 4 screws in each hinge and the new door only uses 2 screws per hinge .New door is much heavier also .So that also concerned me .I wanted a heavier door .The frame around the old storm door is much better made also and has screws into the door frame every 4 inches (so it was well installed ) The new door only every 15 inches .I know I could add more screws .I like the old frame being that it is very beefy .Since they installed it this well and it lasted 9 years until the storm damaged it ,it is a shame to take it off .I have looked all over for the door here but can't find it .I am not sure home depot will take the storm door back I just bought .I have not taken it out of the box and I only looked at the booklet included with the door .I thought if I got a storm door that was the same thickness as the frame it should work since all storm doors do not come predrilled for the hinges .I wanted a storm door with less window area since it is just a side door .The one I bought was a 200 series 36 inch wide emco door with the smaller window

posted Hide Post
it says I am not allowed to post pics here so i posted them on rate my space under storm door help

posted Hide Post
well got the jamb for the storm door off and found why they did it this way .When I had the house built I had sound board installed outside over the OSB and sound board installed before the sheet rock was put up .Which meant they had to recess the inside door and the jamb becomes part of the inside of the storm door frame .It is a special frame made for modular homes .The extra stuff makes the walls over 8 inches deep .I found out after calling Norris homes who built my home that it was built to hurricane standards for Tennessee .Now i have to get a new storm door either from them or get one that excepts the one inch hinge on the door .

Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Well, at least you have some answers, good for you. That makes sense with a modular home. Never did see where any photos that you posted on the other board?

I might opt to purchase a replacement door from them even if more money...rather than try to retrofit.