Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Remodeling
Hop To Forums   General Remodeling
  Want to hang 'Barn Doors' but there's an I-Beam there!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Want to hang 'Barn Doors' but there's an I-Beam there! Sign In/Join 
posted
So I'd like to close off the basement's rec area, but in a semi-permanent fashion. ie: I don't want to build a wall and put a door in. I came up with the idea that I could put a sliding barn-style hanging door instead! However, as I've researched into it, I'm coming up on some issues I'm not sure how to address.
The picture shows the entry way that I'd like to put the door on. As you can see, the ceiling is quite low and there's no vertical section above the doorway to attach the door rail to. The reason is because this is where the air vents run along the floor of the ground floor and up through the house. Also, the section that is right over the walk-way isn't a standard wood structure, that's an I-Beam!
Luckily, if I punch out some of the drywall roofing there's plenty of space between the I-Beam and where the vents actually start for me to easily have the doors slide along between them (almost a foot of space). Just leave a slot in the dry-wall roofing when I rebuild it, and voila, all is fine.

My issue is this: If that's an I-Beam there, how in the world do I attach the rail to it?! All the hardware I can find just wants to screw into studs. Optimally, I'd like to place some wood between the two flanges of the I-Beam, along the web, and then attach the door rail to that. However, how do I attach the wood to the I-Beam?

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.
Chris
PS: No, it's not an option to do the door on the other side where I do have a vertical section and higher ceilings without the duct work. There's not enough space to slide the door.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ChrisBert,

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jul 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is a shot from the other side which I can't hang the door on because there is not enough slide space.
Chris

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jul 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kind of hard to give you an idea w/o actually seeing what you are up against. If you are thinking of a single door on the high side you could also do two smaller doors on the same track on the higher side. You would not need as much side clearence. The space looks to be about 6 feet. Can you use two 3 foot doors.

Another suggestion is to use like a double pocket door right in the opening.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: redoverfarm,

Posts: 727 | Location: Applachain | Registered: Feb 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post