Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Remodeling
Hop To Forums   General Remodeling
  Pickin Your Brains...Self Stick Tile
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pickin Your Brains...Self Stick Tile Sign In/Join 
Picture of michelle1538
posted
What was your experience I will be putting it down on the subfloor after I pull up the old white vinyl stuff. Any suggestions as far as manufactueres it is only 70 inches by 80 inches.

Posts: 1728 | Location: livin in the mitten | Registered: Mar 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why are you pulling up the old white vinyl stuff?
Unless it's damaged and would show through, I put my peel & stick right over. Been down about 20 years and still looks great.

Posts: 1922 | Location: Northern New Jersey | Registered: Mar 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of michelle1538
posted Hide Post
The white vinyl flooring is now yellow down through the middle where I walk....it also looks like a tile pattern so it has fake indented grout likes...I am worried those likes will come through as ridges on the new tile....I could put one down and walk on it for awhile and see what happens. I still have to list my pros and cons for tile....grouted vinyl tile and sheet vinyl..

Posts: 1728 | Location: livin in the mitten | Registered: Mar 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Annett
posted Hide Post
In my experience, it depends a lot on your climate. If the weather stays pretty much the same from one season to another, the peel-and-stick tiles will stick pretty well to sheet vinyl. But if you have extreme temperature changes, the sheet vinyl will expand and contract and the tiles will become loose and shift. Then, all you can do is super-glue the loose pieces into place ---which actually works very well!

Whether or not the pattern from the sheet vinyl will show through the tiles often depends on the thickness of the tile. I've known people who've used leveling compound in the crevices, and that might work for you since you're doing a small area. Just be sure to sand the floor first.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Annett,

Posts: 1430 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Nov 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by michelle1538:
The white vinyl flooring is now yellow down through the middle where I walk....it also looks like a tile pattern so it has fake indented grout likes...I am worried those likes will come through as ridges on the new tile....I could put one down and walk on it for awhile and see what happens. I still have to list my pros and cons for tile....grouted vinyl tile and sheet vinyl..

Save yourself a ton of work here. Go to your local "big box" store (HD or Lowe's) and go into their flooring dept. Ask them for a bag/box of "embossing compound".

You mix it like any thinset mortar and spread it over the existing vinyl with a trowel. It is only applied think enough to fill all the voids in the current vinyl. That will give you a perfectly flat surface so nothing will telegraph though to any vinyl applied over the top.

After that is applied/dried, apply a vinyl floor primer to seal everything. That will give you a very good base for self-stick tiles and it's about 1/10th the amount of work of tearing up the existing vinyl and then fixing the subfloor irregularities.

Apply your self-stick tile and you should be good to go for 15-20 years.

Posts: 46 | Location: United States | Registered: Apr 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think Jim means leveling compound. (I could not find embossing compound listed at the stores).

About 3 years ago we torn sheet flooring up in a house that was built in '86. It was so easy. There was glue around the edges and only in a couple places in the room. They scrapped right off with a putty knife. I cannot say yours will come that easy but there is a good chance it will unless your home is much older than that.

Posts: 6720 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
Some are perimeter glued and others are completely glued down. If it is completely glued it can be a bear to get up.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 6856 | Location: Cary, North Carolina | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by metwo:
I think Jim means leveling compound. (I could not find embossing compound listed at the stores).

It depends on the store & brand. Some brands refer to it as "Embossing Leveler", some call it "Patch and Skimcoat". "Embossing compound" is sort of a generic term for all of them.

I'm usually hesitent to tell people to buy "leveler" just because they almost always end up buying self-leveling mortar which is the wrong thing to use.

Posts: 46 | Location: United States | Registered: Apr 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post