Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Remodeling
Hop To Forums   General Remodeling
  Water Resistant Walls for Sunroom/Workout Room
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Water Resistant Walls for Sunroom/Workout Room Sign In/Join 
posted
We are beginning a project to convert our walkout basement porch into an enclosed workout room. We recently installed a water drainage system under our deck, which tops the walk-out basement porch. Since there is a small chance of water getting in, we were looking into water resistant wall options. I have researched fiberglass panels and water resistant beadboard. Both look like bathroom-type walls and are not are very decorative. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Posts: 2 | Registered: Mar 06, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
You could try Hardi-Panel. I installed some in a couple of screened porches I built. I used T1-11 Hardi-Panel. It looked nice and takes paint very easily. It has a textured surface but it isn't rough like wood T1-11 panels.

http://www.jameshardie.com/hom...hardiepanelSiding.py

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 6947 | Location: Cary, North Carolina | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Have you considered installing several large slider windows with screens instead of just screens and a screen/storm door? Larger size Vinyl windows, in stock sizes are not badly priced at many of the box stores.

It would secure your workout room better from the elements (and possibly theft) and create at least a 3 season room which might add more to your enjoyment and resale value. Windows would be closed during rainy or cold weather, and only open when ventilation is wanted.

If it is not too large of sqft, opening the door to the basement may be enough to keep it either cool or warm enough to use also.

Posts: 9616 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sparky - Thanks. The Hardi-panel looks like that could be a good solution for what we are looking for.

Conrad - Thanks for the advice! That's exactly our plan. We are installing four 60x48 slider windows in the front. So, we only need walling material for against the house, the sides, and under the windows in the front. The porch is partially "under ground", so we have about three or four foot cement walls in the front and on the sides that we would like to fur our to add electrical and walls for a more finished look.

We also plan to install a large set of sliding french doors between the house and this room. I agree opening these should help a lot with the heating/cooling of this room.

Thanks again for the advice. We are so excited to start this project in mid-April.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Mar 06, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post