Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

kitchen cabinets Sign In/Join 
Picture of justaquiltin'
posted
Why don't they make cabinets that go all the up to the ceiling? What are you suppose to do with the space between the cabinets and ceiling? It is usually not strong enough to hold anything of any weight.

Posts: 280 | Location: , | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
If you have standard 8' ceilings a 42" upper cabinet will go to the ceiling. With 9' ceilings they are mounted 1' down from the ceiling.

There is always custom. But in a 9' ceiling reaching the top shelves will be a step ladder affair for nearly everyone outside of the NBA.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

I am not an employee of HGTV, nor is anyone else that posts here.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 6993 | Location: Cary, North Carolina | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, 42" cabinets are meant to go all the way up. We just got this size last summer. Note that depending on the design, you may not have room for trim at the top - that was the case with us, but our cabinets look fine without the trim. It is nice to make use of that otherwise wasted space.

Posts: 234 | Registered: Jan 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like to use the space between the top of the cabinets and the ceiling for crown moulding and top of cabinet lighting.

Christopher R. Johnson
Journeyman Carpenter &
Home Remodeling Expert
www.CreativeTouchCarpentry.com

Posts: 30 | Location: Westmont, Il | Registered: May 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by justaquiltin':
Why don't they make cabinets that go all the up to the ceiling? What are you suppose to do with the space between the cabinets and ceiling? It is usually not strong enough to hold anything of any weight.

You've got the problem backwards. The real problem is that the ceilings don't come down to the cabinets!

Posts: 46 | Location: United States | Registered: Apr 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How much space do you have on top of your cupboards? Enough for some fake greenery, tube electric lights (don't know what they are called but some people use them on top of their cupboards), light weight wooden animals...etc. If your cupboards are nailed/screwed to the wall, they are strong enough to put a few things up there. I always put waxed paper down on top of the cupboards so when I go to clean the top, I throw the wax paper away and put new down. I had cupboards to the ceiling.....could not reach anything up there without going to get a step ladder. So had a soffit put in and never regretted it.

love life

Posts: 1569 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
cabinets that go all up to the ceiling is not a good idea for me. make a space you might need it in the future.

Posts: 4 | Location: United States | Registered: Apr 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can get various heights of cabinets--my kitchen combines custom with their regular cabinet lines. We have Amish cabinet shops that are in our area and they have various cabinet types and can vary the heights and molding types depending on what you need. Don't just look at the big box stores. See if you have any cabinet shops in your area and see what they have to offer. The price may not be as high as you may think.

Posts: 3273 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree that cabinets should go all the way up. In our kitchen remodel, we are adding additional short, glass inset cabinets above the existing ones. They will be lighted and give the kitchen a modern look while eliminating the dust catcher space we have now.

Posts: 242 | Location: Leland, NC | Registered: Nov 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sloping ceiling in our new home in the kitchen so the wall behind the cabinets is over 10' high. Even with standard sized cabinets, the top ones require a step stool for access. So we will be putting decorative items on top of those cabinets. Roughly the same thing in our last home in central CO. Actually looks pretty nice.

Posts: 12204 | Location: Ft Collins, CO USA | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post