Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Remodeling
Hop To Forums   General Remodeling
  Granite counter tops
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Granite counter tops Sign In/Join 
posted
I'm new and I apologize in advance if this is the wrong place to post this question.

We bought a condo built 5 years ago. It has granite counter tops. The little instruction packet the counter top people left said it was supposed to be sealed every year. We don't use the condo that often, so the kitchen does not get heavy use. But I am wondering about how to seal the counter tops. I asked the neighbors, some who live here year round, and they say that the counter tops don't really need to be resealed.

Does anyone know about granite counter top maintenance?

Thank you for your time.

Posts: 6 | Registered: Jan 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Granite countertops are normally factory sealed. But they make sealer for granite tops at any of the big box stores.

Posts: 728 | Location: Applachain | Registered: Feb 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Since you don't use the kitchen that much, you also probably don't use cleaners or commonly spill acidic foods or alcoholic beverages on the surface?

Thus I am guessing you may get by with resealing every 2-3 years, if even that often. Kind of depends on the use and daily cleaning the counters get?

Posts: 9615 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mmohneycw
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hgtvlolly:
I'm new and I apologize in advance if this is the wrong place to post this question.

We bought a condo built 5 years ago. It has granite counter tops. The little instruction packet the counter top people left said it was supposed to be sealed every year. We don't use the condo that often, so the kitchen does not get heavy use. But I am wondering about how to seal the counter tops. I asked the neighbors, some who live here year round, and they say that the counter tops don't really need to be resealed.

Does anyone know about granite counter top maintenance?

Thank you for your time.

I have had granite counter tops since 2003 that get heavy use and seal them about every 3 years.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
maintenance of granite countertops are not that difficult. always make sure that after you use it, you have to clean it,

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's a good question, since in our house we also have granite counter tops. Just a simple tips:
To keep granite countertops clean, use a microfiber cloth to dust off the surface. Wipe down the granite countertop daily and as needed using water. Once a week wipe down with a damp cloth and a stone cleaner formulated with a neutral pH. Never use harsh chemicals or abrasive cleaners. They can scratch, pit, and etch the surface of the stone.
For maintenance: Sealing is a regular maintenance task for granite. Re-seal the countertop when water splashed on the surface no longer beads up. It's important to examine your granite at least once a year.
One of the experts advised me about that, I asked cumar about that since before I don't really have knowledge in kind of thing. Smile

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
for the maintenance, just use water or cleaning materials that is good for countertops and never use abrasive cleaners. it will destroy you countertops.

Posts: 6 | Registered: Jan 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also encountered the same problem with you, as far as I know when I asked for cumar for a help, before you reseal your granite countertops, check with the manufacturer or installer to be sure it is necessary. Most granite counters do need to be re-sealed on an annual basis, but not all of them require this.

Two Types of Sealers

Penetrating sealers: Protecting the structure of natural stone, a penetrating sealer absorbs into the granite for three or four minutes. When almost dry, add a little more sealer to the counter and rub with a soft, dry rag. Apply to a section at a time. Wait two hours and apply a second coat. When shopping for your sealer, look for one that says it is an oil repellent impregnator, which will help stop oil from seeping into the stone.

Topical sealers: These sealers form a film designed to protect the countertop's surface. Usually made from some form of natural wax, acrylic, and other plastic compounds. Topical sealers come in two types: strippable and permanent. Strippable sealers are made to be stripped or removed from the stone countertop with little work. Most often, often permanent sealers are not recommended for granite. Follow the manufacturer's recommendations when deciding what type of sealer is right for your counters.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Feb 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Granite requires regular maintenance. Besides just cleaning regularly, you'll need to make sure the granite is sealed periodically.

Posts: 4 | Location: United States | Registered: Apr 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It sounds to me like you would be in the 3-5 year range for sealing the granite counter tops. But definitely a must over time. I have seen mold growing under older granite tops (especially around the kitchen sink areas)that were never properly maintained.

Christopher R. Johnson
Journeyman Carpenter &
Home Remodeling Expert
www.CreativeTouchCarpentry.com

Posts: 30 | Location: Westmont, Il | Registered: May 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sealing depends on the type of granite that you have. Some require more maintenance than others. If you put some water on the granite does it bead or does it sink into the granite? If it beads that's what it should do, if it sinks into the granite, you already have a problem. Go to a store that sells granite and see what they advise. You want help from a pro not just some employee at a big box store. I have 6 different types of granite in my home--each has different sealing needs.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To keep granite countertops clean, use a microfiber cloth to dust off the surface. Wipe down the granite countertop daily and as needed using water. Once a week wipe down with a damp cloth and a stone cleaner formulated with a neutral pH. Never use harsh chemicals or abrasive cleaners. They can scratch, pit, and etch the surface of the stone. For oily stains, try a poultice made of a cup of flour or baking soda and 5 tablespoons of dish soap. Add water to make it the consistency of sour cream or yogurt. Place the solution directly on the stain and cover with plastic wrap overnight, before washing away the poultice.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jun 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No worries, there are lots of sealer and wax available for the maintenance of your granite countertop. You can Seal your Granite or have someone seal it for you.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Sep 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You've gotten lots of advice already and they all say the same thing I'll say: when the water stops beading up on the counter, it's time to seal with something you can get at Home Depot or Lowe's or your other favorite hardware store. It doesn't take much sealer, so don't buy a gallon of it.

It's just like waxing a car. Pour a little on, wait for it to dry to a film, then buff like crazy to get it off. If it doesn't come off, use a little more sealer to buff it off. Follow the instructions on the bottle, of course, but that's what it's been like for the products I've used.

We use our countertops in our kitchen all the time every day and I seal them every couple of years and plan a dinner out because they have to "cure." For everyday use, I wipe them down with a wet sponge and if there's something disgusting, like chicken drippings, I'll use soapy water and follow up with the wet sponge to wipe away the soap. Easy peasy.

Heather

Posts: 55 | Registered: Jul 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
We just had three bathroom granite tops installed and opted for the application of DuPont StoneTech sealer (2coats at the fabrication shop and 1 in home upon instillation). Our granite is quite porous on their grading scale. The warranty for this sealer is for 15 years and can be renewed and passed onto a new homeowner come resale. I will not have to worry about stains or yearly sealing. I was informed that this product is especially encouraged for kitchen stone countertops which are subjected to even more stains than bathrooms. Check it out on the web and ask your fabricator (if new) about it. BTW, if the application was not done at instillation, it can still be applied, but it is an involved process to go thru as pics and IDs of previous stains must be recorded to comply to their warranty.

Posts: 18685 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post