Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Remodeling
Hop To Forums   General Remodeling
  Fix or replace floors?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fix or replace floors? Sign In/Join 
posted
Help! I got beautiful cherry laminate floors throughout the house a year ago. I've had water leaks 3 times since then that ruined parts of the floor. Replaced with tile in the kitchen, fixed the eating area. Eating area needs to be fixed again. My question is this: should I fix it again at a cost of $750 (3rd time) or just replace all of the flooring with wood look vinyl planks at a cost of about $3,000 and be done with it? Thanks.

Posts: 10 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: Aug 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I understand the water problem in the kitchen but why in the eating area? How likely is it to happen again? Three times in a year is a lot. Really a lot.

Make sure you have the water problem fixed before you do anything with the floor. The vinyl planks do take water better and are easy to install.

Posts: 7099 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The furnace/air conditioner is on the other side of the eating area wall. Drain backed up. It may never happen again. Guess I'm just scared now. If I fix the floor again, I've spent almost as much money as replacing the floor but not sure if I would like the vinyl. It does look like wood though.

Posts: 10 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: Aug 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Forgot to add, first leak was a broken hose in the attic from the water softener, second leak was broken drain pipe under sink, third was the A/C. House was built in 1970 so I guess pipes are wearing out.

posted Hide Post
I have vinyl plank in one house and laminate in the other house. I picked these rather than the popular wood because of the dog and they both hold up well. Both of the floors have their pros and cons.

If you can repair the floor I would do that. You like the floor and it is cheaper. Just my opinion.

Posts: 7099 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Qfroggi3
posted Hide Post
Hi, has anyone tried to paint over vinyl floring? It is in good shape just ugly and i"m cheap. What kind of paint?

Posts: 93 | Registered: Feb 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Qfroggi, this is a separate question and you should start a new post. You might get more answers that way.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: metwo,

posted Hide Post
Metwo, what do you like & dislike about the vinyl planks? They look like wood don't they? I think we are going to fix the floors again BUT if they get wet again, they're gone!

posted Hide Post
Well, let me see. Pro: they do look like wood to some people (not to me but neither does laminate), they are easy to wash and you don't have to worry if water is spilled. They also come in a tile design. It is easy to install. Easier than the laminate was.
Con: they do occasionally show streaks from the dog nails but they usually wash out. If they don't you have to use a special solution and 3M pad and be on your hands and knees. You have to be sure to roll it carefully. I've had some lifting at the walls in the angled hall. The Home Depot product had a chemical smell that bothered me for a few months. It never bothered my husband but I have allergies. Time and open windows made the smell go.

Does that help at all?

posted Hide Post
Yes, that very helpful. Thank you!