HGTV Message Boards
Silly to change a garage back to a garage?

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.hgtv.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4774011632/m/5583979967

Apr 23, 2013, 02:24 PM
Sandlance
Silly to change a garage back to a garage?
Going up to the Cape to look at a house that seems to have everything I want. It is a Cape with a dormer for the 2nd floor bedrooms (3) , a breezeway off the side of the house that leads to what was once a 2 car garage. They then built a 1 door, 2 car garage on the back of the property. I really want an attached garage for those Massachusetts winters. It looks like they added a kitchen and living area on the first level and then added a beautiful wood staircase that matches the 1956 main house wood staircase that goes up to 2 very small bedrooms and a bathroom. The house is priced much lower than a lot of the surrounding ones - mainly because the others are oceanfront. Would it be totally stupid to consider turning the first floor back to a garage?? I can make use of the detached garaged for my BFs welding business
Apr 24, 2013, 09:06 AM
Sparky
If you removed the improvements to the old garage and turned it back into a garage will you have a kitchen in the main house? Or will you need to rebuild a kitchen? If you need to rebuild the kitchen can you reuse the cabinets removed from the existing garage kitchen? If you don't own this house, I'd probably keep looking unless there is a real compelling case with the non-waterfront location to sell you on this house.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.