Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Remodeling
Hop To Forums   General Remodeling
  Hardwood or Subfloor
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hardwood or Subfloor Sign In/Join 
posted
Do I tell the difference when I pull up the corners of the carpeted house?

My house is a 19020's era row home in Baltimore. It was a gut rehab and I'm not sure if the floors had been ripped out. Previous owner was an elderly lady.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Nov 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are asking how you can tell the difference. The hardwood would be individual boards laid side by side (tounge & groove)of varing lengths. Generally they can varing in widths from 2" to 6" wide more or less. The subfloor is generally wafer board ( OSB ) in rehab or modern houses in large sheets of 4'X 8' demensions. Although in older homes they also used 1" boards ( 6,8,10") wide laid on the diagonal for subfloor.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: redoverfarm,

Posts: 733 | Location: Applachain | Registered: Feb 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post