Message Boards


  • Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Remodeling
Hop To Forums   General Remodeling
  wooden base board cover up
wooden base board cover up Sign In/Join 
Recently I watched an episode of income property and Scott mentioned a product I am very interested in but can not find. The home he was remodeling had the same problem I have in my home. The original owners had the hard wood installed after the base molding so a gap can be seen at at the base of the molding. Scott showed a product that is a hollowed out base molding designed to be cut an installed over the old base molding to cover the gap. I would appreciate any help in locating where I can purchase this product. Thanks!
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I must be misunderstanding. Why can't you just put on a quarter round.? Or is there one there? How large is the gap?

Know nothing about the product but there should be another way to solve it.
Posts: 7243 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe " shown on the 3.28.13 edition of I Want That..."
Posts: 733 | Location: Applachain | Registered: Feb 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really dont like the look of the quarter round. The gaps can run up to a quarter inch in spots. The product was on an episode of Income Property I watched today and the base looked like speed base with the back cut out to fit over the old base and give you a nice clean look while hiding the gap. He mentioned it was a new product he purchased online.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are many different moldings one can use to cover a quarter inch gap. One I've used is actually a colonial style door stop that is 3/8" by about 1 1/2". There is also plain flat stock in many sizes from 1/4"x1" and up. The only drawback is that these are sometimes special order in sizes longer than about seven or eight feet so you wait for the order or have a lot of seams to deal with.
Posts: 748 | Registered: Jan 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Annett
posted Hide Post
I remember that episode. Scott was able to install the new baseboard over the old so he didn't have to disturb the flooring.

I don't know the exact product he was using, but I've known of people who've used a router to carve-out the back of wide baseboards to make space for phone/cable/computer cords. I know there are pre-fab products for this purpose but they're quite expensive since they don't sell a lot.

You might try contacting a lumber yard near you (or even a big box home improvement store) to see if they'll router the new molding to your specs.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Annett,
Posts: 1433 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Nov 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It sounds like a product made by a company called "RapidFit". They make several mouldings that are designed to go over existing mouldings.
Posts: 46 | Location: United States | Registered: Apr 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Quarter round is the traditional method of marrying the baseboard to the hardwood floor for just this purpose. Heck, I had our contractor add it after retiling our master bathroom floor since grout lines often leave gaps under the baseboard. The wooden baseboard and trim are white, but I have other rooms where both are stained. If done correctly, you can barely detect a joint in the wood and the ends are finished in what is known as a "return".
Posts: 18739 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
did we ever get an answer for this? I just saw Scott covering some baseboards in a Victorian Income Property - I am sure it was an old episode. I am interested in finding these coverings. Today is 3/15/2014 - 11:00am Episode of Income Property. The property was 820000.00 with the reno cost of $70000.00. Can some one please help me find these coverings, painted our house and our baseboards are still awful.
Posts: 1 | Registered: Mar 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Researching Jim978's info about RapidFit Moulding led me to Lowe's website. In my area it's a special order item at about $21.80 per 8 feet of MDF base moulding. Lowes seems to have an exclusive on it.
Posts: 1 | Registered: Mar 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata    HGTV Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Remodeling  Hop To Forums  General Remodeling    wooden base board cover up